The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can having too large a skimmer cause performance problems? What I mean is for example running a skimmer rated for a 300 gal tank on a 30 gal? Maybe this only makes it appear the skimmer is not performing well. When food or waste is introduced it is likely removed quickly and there is a rush of skimmate production, then nothing much made. Anyone have experience with such a setup. Does it make the skimmer hard to set?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Personally i feel that you can have too large a skimmer on a system with a small bioload. Alot of skimmers will seem like they are not performing well if they are rated for a very much larger tank and you have a small tank and bioload. For instance. i have a NW200 Octopus skimmer on my 75 gallon. the tank has a small to medium bioload with 1 tank 2 Ocellaris Clowns and 1 Sleeper Goby and 1 Bicolor Blenny. Until i added the most recent fish (the bilcolor) the skimmer did not perform all that well regularly. Now since i have added that one fish (i haven't changed my feeding amount or frequency) My skimmate production has doubled. It seems to me that it takes a certain amount of bioload to get the skimmer to function as it should, and i am getting to that point.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you like that skimmer? Do you find it easy to set? I am considering a octopus ddnw 150 or 250 recirc.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I like it.. i added the gate valve mod to it and made it soooo much easier to adjust.. turn the knob a little and bam, ur set! of course i have the last generation of the skimmer.. the new ones don't need a gate valve, they have a built in easy adjusting outlet)

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Can having too large a skimmer cause performance problems?
Yes, it can. Both on the skimmer and on the system itself.

What I mean is for example running a skimmer rated for a 300 gal tank on a 30 gal?
Yes, it will cause problems.

Maybe this only makes it appear the skimmer is not performing well. When food or waste is introduced it is likely removed quickly and there is a rush of skimmate production, then nothing much made.
That is what happens after it removes things from the water column (basically scrubbing the water column) when it doesn't have anything to skim out of the water.

Anyone have experience with such a setup. Does it make the skimmer hard to set?
It would make it almost impossible to set it to get consistent performance out of it. If I had a skimmer that could skim a 300 gallon tank on a 30 gallon tank, I would turn the skimmer off for a day. Turn it back on, and time it to see how long it takes for it stop producing. Then, put it on a timer to only run that long a day. Split it up into 3 or 4 cycles during the day. If it takes an hour to stop skimming, then run it 30 minutes twice a day, or 3 times for 20 minutes. Break it up.

Overskimming can cause more problems than just performance issues with the skimmer itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts