The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, trying to figure out appropriate skimmers for a couple of my tanks that'll have some sps going in at some point.

ones a 55g w/ a 10g sump. the 10g sump is really what's limiting the size of the skimmer on this system. It will be a fully mixed reef at some point w/ a majority lps/softy, but i do want to keep a few sps corals in there. There will also be a few fish.

What size skimmer would work best that'll be kept under cabinet in a 10g sump (size of the 10g is 20l x 10w x 12h).

Next is my 125g/40g sump. the size of the 40g is 48l x 13w x 16h. Again, this will have fish and lps/softies, with a few more types of sps in it down the road. The sump is again under the cabinet and needs to fit in the sump.

Anyone have some suggestions for skimmers that'll do the job within these specs?

Thanks all!

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I have a 10 gallon sump and the Octopus DNW110 fits nicely in there and pulls great too. It still left room for a filter sock and auto top off.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a pic? the filter sock thing I've never understood how they worked.... but an ATO is on my list here in the next month or so. I've got a local guy selling a 4 month old JBJ ATO and pump for $50 so i'll be jumping on that. I still have enough room next to the 10g in the stand for a 5g that I'll set the ATO in...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 10 gallon sump and the Octopus DNW110 fits nicely in there and pulls great too. It still left room for a filter sock and auto top off.
right now I have a coralife SS65 hanging on the sump that seems to do pretty well. How does that compare to the DNW110, if you know?

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
I bought the coralife 65 to begin with. They are way to touchy. Im sure you know that by now. Its hard to get them tuned in.....and by the time you do, its time for a water change and you have to do it all over again. My super skimmer was good.....but it overflowed too often due to salt creep. I would rate it at about a 5 out of 10 and this octopus would be about an 8-9. Its a little loud......but its very powerful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts