The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a question for my skimmer. I have a CPR Bak-Pak Skimmer with a rio 800 pump. My new tank is going to be 65 Gallons with a 20 gallon sump (not filled to capacity). The CPR with the rio 600 is rated for 60 Gallon tanks. Will my CPR be ok on the 65 with the rio 800 if not is there a different pump i can get so it would work with my system? I'm on a budget and really want to avoid buying a new Skimmer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rio's are not very reliable go for a Maxi Jet 1200 But think about upgrading to a EuroReef type skimmer.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Stock for the first few months would be what i have in m 38 now which is a pair of percs, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma. The skimmer seems fine on my tank now with that. I shouldnt have a problem for a few months with that bioload right?

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How would the aquac urchin be with the mag drive pump. Thats rated for up to 120. What does anyone think of those? Also the Coralife Super Skimmer 125, they can be used in sump and the needle wheel i heard is more efficient electricity wise also.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I am running the aquac urchin with a MJ1200 in my sump now and I am not greatly impressed with it. Dont get me wrong it is OK but I just cant seem to get it to a point that it pulls out a lot each day. But I run it on a 30 with light bioload so it could just be me...

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My CPR i have now pulls out alot of junk daily. Seems to be doing an awesome job thats why i wanted to keep it for now. But what are some good in sump skimmers at reasonable prices so eventually i can upgrade. I will start looking for deals now if i can.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
If you are handy build a geoff skimmer. I think the pump would be the most expensive part. For around $100 you can build a skimmer that will out perform many skimmers costing 2 or $300. Check out his new line. I can't post the link but if you post "Paging Geoff" and ask him he will get back to you.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
That guy took some time to help people out. That is an extremly detailed set of directions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts