The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been looking to upgrade my skimmer for a while and found a good deal for one used. Its a beast, and I'm pretty sure the pump that runs it is more powerful than my return. Is that okay? Thanks!

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Yeah, it fine! If you skimmer can filter more water than what goes through the sump in a similar time, it is similar to a recirculating skimmer and is often extremely effective. Now if it is so large that it completely removes all organics from the water then, keeping a head might be difficult... but more of a bioload might help :D What is the skimmer and pump and what is the return pump. Also not that skimmer pumps, because of the air pull do not often match the water per hour rating that they are often labeled. Most folks oversize their return pump anyways... I say it is best to have the return/skimmer pump as close to equal as possible and if you are going to tilt it, have it so that the skimmer is the bigger player.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
wait, is the "beast" a model name or a general description meaning "awesome"

edit: also, if it is a beckett or a downdraft skimmer then expect the pump to be massive... for ssome reason I was thinking venturi air induction.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
ok, yeah a downdraft skimmer is often going to have a bigger pump than what is used for the main circulation. Man those are energy sucks, but they get good results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts