The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skimmer has been going for a few days now and it still isnt producing enough skimmate. Lots of air bubbles in tank, and after almost 3 days i barely have the bottom of the collection cup covered. I've tried turning the pump up and down, but it doesn't work right IMO. it is a berlin HO ran by a blue line sd 1105gph turned WAY down. Any suggestions?

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Patience. It can take a week, or two, or three, or even longer for the skimmer to break in.

When you say "Lots of air bubbles in tank", is that in the skimmer or back in the display tank? If its in the display tank, you need to stop that some how. Try the sponge filter until the skimmer breaks in. Or, put the skimmer in a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater and let it run - wide open - for a week or two.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had a redsea a few yrs ago and had the same problem with the bubbles going into the tank. I went to the lfs and the salesman suggested putting a sponge on the return. If I remember correctly the red sea has a gray return thats sits over the edge? He gave me the sponge and it actually helped a lot. The thing is you have to clean that sponge out every time you change your water I didnt and started getting red slime all over the place.
Good Luck.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
There are plenty of manufacturing products that will need to break down before the skimmer works real well, and as mentioned it can take a few weeks for that to happen. Otherwise, why do you have the pump turned "WAY down?" Doesnt this keep the bubbles from reach the top of the collection cup?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i turn the pump up too much then the water overflows from where the collection cup twists into place. whenever i get the pump up high enough to start making a lot of bubbles up the neck of the collection cup, it starts to overflow. that is why it is turned down. its maybe at 45% throttle using a ball valve to adjust flow.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry the pics are kinda dark, but my tank is nocturnal to fit my schedule, so the moonlights are on now.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
amd what kind of sponge did you use partobe. a person a petsmart told me to use pntyhose or something similar because they didn't have any filter socks. needless to say that idea failed. p-hose filled with water and overflowed lol.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
shaggy, get a sponge that is made for a wet/dry filter. Most are blue and have holes in them about the size of pencil lead. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q6WA8I

Simply get a large one from the LFS (or order one online). Then cut a hole in it to allow the drain from the skimmer to go into it. The key is that the filter MUST be in a container for it to work properly. Simply putting it on the drain won't work as well. The idea is that the sponge gives the microbubbles something to attach to, then they form larger bubbles, and go into the air. The container is to allow the water to flow out but keeping the bubbles in the container with the sponge filter.

The issue that people mention with it is that if the sponge gets clogged up, the skimmer will overflow. With the size holes in the one I linked to, that isn't an issue. It solved a micro-bubble issue I was having on a Coralife (CSS skimmers come with this filter setup).

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
mine was gray but it was all that he had. It was a few yrs ago but from what I remember it was for a power head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts