The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Kent Nautalis EX Skimmer for the sump of my 55 gallon tank. The problem? It's not skimming. I have it hooked up to a VIa Aqua 3600 pump and it has plenty of power. It's just not making tons of tiny bubbles like I'm used to with my CPR hang on skimmer. I called Kent support and he said it's not designed to make tiny bubbles (milky, I call it) like other skimmers. If I attach tubing to the air inlet valve that is built into the skimmer and blow I can make all those bubbles. I then thought that if I used the venturi discharge on the pump with the airline hose, then that would produce bubbles to skim (have not tried it yet). The Kent guy said that was not necessary, just run the output of the pump directly to the skimmer, no extra venturi is needed. Well, it's been running for 4 days with out the least bit of foam production. And the tank has been without a skimmer for a couple of months! I would have thought it should foam like crazy. Any thoughts?? Thanks! :confused:

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Gary something is not right,I have the smaller skimmer and it produces alot heres a pic to show the bubbles.

Attachments

·
Natural Reefer
226 Posts
Gary, is your pump line or venturi line resricted in some way or clogged up? I know this may sound like a dumb question but is the venturi intake underwater or leaking water into it from a loose fitting,:D :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, the venturi line that is built into the skimmer is way above the water line. It is hard to say if there might be a leak. Where it is plumbed into the chamber, it is hard to see because it is inside under dark acrylic. But I think it is a design problem, because this is the second skimmer I've got. The first had a small, pinhole leak which is fine in sump, but if I ever wanted to put it outside the sump it would have been a problem. Anyway, the first skimmer acted the same way for the two days I had it before it was returned (no foam). I'm still going to try the venturi on the output of the pump, that seems like the logical solution, although I am a bit upset it is not performing the way it should "right out of thr box" as claimed. Thanks all

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I hooked up the venturi line on the pump and.....water shot out of it! I thought this might happen, seeing that the venturi hose is on the output of the pump, not the water sucking in input. I'm ready to send the whole **** thing back! So Casey, do you like the smaller version of the Nautalis skimmer? Maybe I'll exchange it for that. What pump are you using with it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
squid said:
We had the same problem at the shop. We then added the airline to the venturi part of the pump and away it went. Foamed like mad

Others may have other options, this is worked for us.
Seems to me that when you purchace a product no modifications should have to be made to get it working properly. Maybe some adjustments but nothing else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts