The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a Bak Pak 2R, with a MJ 1200 replacing the *&%#@ Rio 600 that came with it. As part of my plan to get rid of the hair algae growth, I'm working really hard to export nutrients, and vigorous skimming is especiallly important.

Earlier in the week I noticed that the skimmer was wimping out, so I took out powerhead and cleaned the impeller and also cleaned out the airline.
Then a day or two ago I closed the venturi valve (as I do every so often) and I heard water coming up over the top and and on the floor! It has NEVER done this before. I quickly :eek: reversed the valve to lower the water in the chambers.

Today when I was doing a water change, I noticed that the water level in the chamber was about 1 1/2 " higher than usual. So I played with the venturi valve and the O ring to get the water to a more comfortable level. (comfortable for me, that is....) Not much change with the O ring adjustment. And the venturi valve made little difference in the water level, as it had in the past. I didn't want to chance it by closing it all the way, for fear of the flood gates making a mess again.

Does this make any sense to you all? Suggestions? I know a new skimmer is probably needed sometime in the future, but is there something I can do until I can get a new one. $$$ is looming in my sight...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Cath it almost sounds like something may be blocking the drain back into the tank (snail in the drain......). I'd check that first. I have a Bak-Pak that I've been running for 2 years now still with the Rio and it works fine.

·
Super Moderator
28,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Joel. That's a good idea to check that. I've been running this for about 3 years and this is really the first trouble that I've had, but stuff does happen ;)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
if there is a snail stuck in there or something cath, dont just rip it out. let me know, and i'll give you some techniques for coaxing it out ;)

hopefully it's just clogged, or minor fix and you want have to shell out cash for a new skimmer yet.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I figured Jay might offer his expert snail massage techniques if it was indeed a snail. :funny:

·
Super Moderator
28,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joel said:
I figured Jay might offer his expert snail massage techniques if it was indeed a snail. :funny:
What was I thinking! I shoulda called up the expert right away :) I'll have to give it a try tomorrow....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.