The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have recently changed my plan im doing a custom 55gal build instead of an 80gal- as i got a 55gal tank for$25 now the plan is to purachase 2 Hydor Koralia Evolution Powerhead (750 GPH) also going to purchase Marineland Penguin 350 Power Filter. Also building a de-nitrating reactor as i built one for my 40gal and works great. I also have the coralife 48inc light setup with moonlights. Now the real question is here i plan on purchasing this for my tank also Marineland C-220 Multi-Stage Canister Filter. Will this replace my skimmer or should i still purchase i new one? :blob:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would not buy the power filter or the canister filter. Both do more harm then good for a saltwater tank. Take that money you were going to spend on these and go buy a good skimmer. Live rock, good flow, and a good skimmer is all you need!

·
Registered
687 Posts
+1 skimmer

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
drop the canister filter & de-nitrating reactor, keep the skimmer, and good husbandry...It is all about the water, and keeping waste products out of the system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
skimmer, if you plan to have more than a few fish, I ran a HOB filter for awhile on my first 55g with no problem, no skimmer about 5 fish and some crabs / snails and a small blue star. i had to keep the filters cleaned (it was a bit of a chore) but it worked fine, my parameters were always within range and the livestock seemed happy....but with e 55g i would recommended a skimmer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts