The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello again.. fancy meeting you here :funny:

well if i remember correctly i think someone sid i have to replace my skimmer before setting up the reef? true? i think someone said that the copper would have leached into the acrylic?

anyway, IF i have to.. any thoughts on these used skimmers: any of them good, worth the price. waht's the max price i should go if they get other bids, etc. wil lthey be suitable for the 75display, 20 fuge, and 15 sump. (sump will be 30, but only half filled)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2322635736&category=20758 this seems ok, if the bidstays low.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2323080311&category=20758 this seems cheesy, and no pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2323114370&category=3212 this seems good, but maybe too small.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2323304780&category=3212 i like this one, and the price)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2322505228 :D :D :D :D

thanks for any input!

·
Registered
986 Posts
go with the RK 4000. You may skim every toledo's aquarium water with it........and charge for it. That could be a new good business :D
Serious, I have only heard about the ETSS, and they have all been good comments. I don't have first hand experience with them, but I think they're good and pricy if purchased brand new.

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Hey Jay, I think this one will work :)
RK4000 Protein Fractionator Skimmer

RK2 Commercial Protein Fractionator / Protein Skimmer RK4000 Protein Fractionator, 24" Diameter, 30" base, 116" high, 145 gallon reaction chamber, 4000 GPH capacity, venturi driven. Ozone compatible, non-corrosive materials, transparent reaction chambers, counter current design, independent venturi system, built-in wash down apparatus, flanged removable cover, flanged top chamber, welded plastic base, 2" intake connections, 3" discharge, and venturi pump. This would be great for large fish tanks, holding tanks, aquaculture, or fish stores. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions. As this is large you would need to either pick this up or arrange shipping, but I will help in any way I can on this end. I had this running for 3 years and the results were amazing!

Actually tho I wouldn't bother with any but the first one, the ETTS, they are about $300 or so, $100 is good price :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol the last one is pretty nice hugh!! i'd need to make my cabinet a bit higher though. not ot mention my roof :funny:

i'll forget the others and keep an eye on the etts if it stays below a hudnred i'll grab it. if not i'll jsut get another/bigger aquaclear model. they seem to work well.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh yeah, i know the rio horror stories :)

i've tried explainineg this to my lfs, and getting him to pull his rios off the shelf. but he swears by them. says they are the best on the market for the money. ugghhh

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
come on Jay, you are dissappointing me here. you DIY your stand, but are not going to DIY a protein skimmer. if you are looking for ways not to spend money this is one of the easiest ways. and it is fun to try different ideas. they are simple, many plans out there.

Go For It!!

besides it takes time, so you are not worrying about why is my tank not set up yet.:D

G~

P.S.-so you finally passed my post number, some time last night, huh.:D i at least held you off till after 1000 though.
look out Doug1 here he comes.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Go with the ETSS.

That's the one I have, and it works great. You can always replace the Rio with the money you save.

Daryl

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Jay...... do me a favor... Chop up a bunch of cucumbers.... Boil them real good and dump them and the water into a sump and run the skimmer on it for a day or so..... Then test the water again for copper.... We just gotta test this out....

If not the skimmer, at least try a powerhead or something... ;)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MAKE MY OWN SKIMMER!!!! dude i'm all over that..

but the only thing that stopped me was, well, a lot of things.
1. how do i get the tube to "sink in" where the injection port comes in at. it's like all curved and stuff. or doesnt it matter?

2.where to find clear tube. if i make one, i want it to be round, not square, and i want to be able to see inside it :)

3. how do i know what angle to have the injection part at.

4. where do i get the "curved" parts that go up into the colelction cup, like the upside down funnel thing. to force the bubble up.

5. know of any good diy plans for making a skimmer? i would love to do it.. but..... i'd always assumed it was a science.

buzz, promise, i'm goign to get that stuff and try it out. if it works, then i can use some of my existing stuff. can you say 60 pounds of live rock! or pumps and powerheads. that's a lot of dough to throw out if it can be saved for 7-10 bucks!!

here's what i dont udnerstand. if i am putting in the infected rock/powerhead etc,, why do i need the cucumbers?

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Jay- i have plans on my site for the skimmer i made. i also have all of the links that i used in designing my skimmer. to get the acrylic tube, if you want to see inside the skimmer check out the links for the Kalkwasser reactor i made.

G~

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heheh i was just reviewing the same stuff whilst waiting a response :)

ok,. diy skimmer it is :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks. but i decided on the F.M.I. skimmer :) instead

·
Registered
133 Posts
Buzz_Hog said:
Jay...... do me a favor... Chop up a bunch of cucumbers.... Boil them real good and dump them and the water into a sump and run the skimmer on it for a day or so..... Then test the water again for copper.... We just gotta test this out....

If not the skimmer, at least try a powerhead or something... ;)
Actually, boiling may not be such a good idea. High temps may denature the proteins and destroy the binding site. I would suggest a mush.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
ahhhhhh.... yeah, I'm always up for a good mush!!! :)

Spinach has some good binding proteins as well, but I was worried about it's iron content...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts