The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
My Kitty Cleans My Glass!
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone used these skimmers. Is one better than the other? I am looking at getting a deltec or a euro reef but man the price difference is huge. Any thoughts??

Mike

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Have you looked into other possibilities such as bubble master or reeflo? The ER RC500 is about the last in the line that are really noteworthy and the deltec, although nice is overpriced plastic. The only reason they perform is due to science and eheim pumps. If you go to pick one up, they feel cheap.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
H&S is a great skimmer. I forgot to mention them...

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
depends on the model and size tank and your personal preference... any of them with pinwheel recirculating eheims are going to kick some gunk. I like my euro reef, but it is a small in sump model, and i have a constant water level sxn. this question really depends on the way you are gonna set it up(internal/external) your bioload, system size, and goals(nutrient goals in tank).

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Sort of skey:D The ER 750 and 1000 have more scfm than the neck size can accommodate. This is why I said the RC 500 is the last logical choice. There is a lot more to making a skimmer work than having eheim pumps on it.

To quickly add... There are a few basic things that make a skimmer work well. First is the scfm or lpm (the amount of air drawn into the skimmer), flowthrough rate, contact time or duration (this is connected with the flowthrough rate) that the bubbles are in the skimmer and then a tad bit of science combining diameter, height and neck widths and height. Some research indicates that more complex DOCs require up to two minutes of contact/duration time to be removed. This is no easy task. You need a skimmer with low turnover or very tall. This is why so many skimmer companies are playing with the amount of scfm as contact time and duration are hard to achieve unless you have a really tall or wide skimmer:D

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I can't say much for other skimmer but i had a CS6-1 with my 72 gallon and now I am using a CS8-3 with my 180 with a 100 gallon sump. I love it. Its very easy to use and pulls out lots of crap.

·
11,345 Posts
Definitely dont leave bubblemaster out of your choices.

I couldnt be happier with my BM 250 on my 225. Any skimmer that can deal with a fully stocked tank crash and not make me do a huge water change to save the clams, zoas and fish that made it...........gets a gold star for sure

Here is what I was pulling every 12 hours for the few days following my little accident. thats a gallon collection cup and not exactly "wet" skimmate. ;)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I agree that its not that simple, i just wanted to hear more about his intended use.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have used the Euro-reef RS100 and the ASM-G1. They are both very good skimmers, though the ASM skimmer is MUCH cheaper. The acrylic on the Euro-reef is a little bit thicker, but I don't think that the ASM lacks performance because of this. I would recommend both of these skimmers though the RS80 (which I have never used) seems to compare more with the G1.... size-wise. you can find the euro-reef rs80 for about $240 and the ASM-G1 for about $200. If you are looking for the larger rs100 you will be spending more around $300. Anyway, now I'm just babbling. sorry I'm not much help with the deltec but the two that I have are great!

P.S. phiberop840, GO PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, that is very good skimming. I have a 210 with a WV of about 250, I will most likely stock heavy as we all tend to do. I would like to use it in my sump with 10" of water, 18x18 is the area. I could do out of the sump as well. I also plan to have a full coral selection in the tank. I would love to have a reef with all the goodies. I plan to have the best for this tank and a skimmer is a hard decision right now as they are pricey.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Mike

·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
P.S. phiberop840, GO PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah baby!! Did you see that pass in OT. What a game!! I used to be from Wausau WI. Where you from. Thanks for the info as well.

Mike

·
11,345 Posts
Wow, that is very good skimming. I have a 210 with a WV of about 250, I will most likely stock heavy as we all tend to do. I would like to use it in my sump with 10" of water, 18x18 is the area. I could do out of the sump as well. I also plan to have a full coral selection in the tank. I would love to have a reef with all the goodies. I plan to have the best for this tank and a skimmer is a hard decision right now as they are pricey.
As far as the BM goes.....its in sump only and 10" is too deep. I played with it everywhere from 6-10 and 7 was the golden number. I have a 100 gallon sump and i just built a lift for it to the desired height. It is only 24" tall so there is room to spare even after lifting it. Like most all in sump skimmers, constant water level via a baffle is mandatory if you want true control

just fyi

·
Registered
61 Posts
yeah, that was an amazing game tonight!!! I had a few friends over and we all went crazy when Favre threw that TD. I live over in Oshkosh... though I travel through Wausau all the time. I hunt just north of there.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
think the reeflo 250 may be your best choice if you plan on a very heavy load, but i would think the ER RC250, H$S 200 or look into the DAS they are nice looking and good performing H&S knockoffs http://stores.petorama.net/catalog/EX-3_Large.jpg. I have heard the bubblemasters are a bit sensitive and skim great while cycling but can fall off a lot when your organic content goes down. I got a bulletproof skimmer from www.protein-skimmer.com and love it(fair non-euro like price made in PA) but it takes a while to get it done shaun is the designer and he will do exactly as you want and offer lots of good advice. good luck

·
11,345 Posts
I have heard the bubblemasters are a bit sensitive and skim great while cycling but can fall off a lot when your organic content goes down.
Ill have to agree with this a little bit. It does need poo in the water. I solved the issue entirely by simply feeding the tank every time I walk by it. :)

·
11,345 Posts
I don't think you can beat it.
You would if you had tried anything else ;)

I dont say that to be offending...i used to think my modded g4+ did a great job too...........it didnt

Trying to clean the water like my BM i pictured earlier in this thread after a near complete tank crash would have been a joke. Get out the water change equipment and get ready for 100%

·
spsaddict
941 Posts
Ill have to agree with this a little bit. It does need poo in the water. I solved the issue entirely by simply feeding the tank every time I walk by it. :)
fly guy with that last comment im pretty sure you have a couple of hippo tangs in your tank:lol: jk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts