The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up a Tunze 9002 Nano skimmer in my 10gal aquarium(1 clownfish, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 green serpent star, 1 turbo snail,4 dwarf blue leg hermits) 5 days ago and Im still not getting any skimate....do I not have a big enough bio load? does it still need more time to break in? do i need to run it in vinegar water? What should I do??

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Mite be to little of load!P.S. I'd get rid of the green star before it eats everything in your tank(trade it for any other color(only the green are killers).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
its working now and I only went up .001 I cant believe that made all the difference
If you mean the skimmer is working, it would be pure co-incidence as salinity has nothing to with skimming proteins.

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
O. incrassata is the generally considered the dangerous one...however, the difference is really one made up for the hobby, given the chance the ones we call serpents will take out a fish just as quick as the ones we call brittle...

Sg 1.024

i thought the green BRITTLE stars were the killers not the green serpent star

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O. incrassata is the generally considered the dangerous one...however, the difference is really one made up for the hobby, given the chance the ones we call serpents will take out a fish just as quick as the ones we call brittle...
i have been thinking about trading it in for something else...better safe than sorry

·
Administrator
46,676 Posts
If you mean the skimmer is working, it would be pure co-incidence as salinity has nothing to with skimming proteins.
Not true, they work better in SG closer to seawater, but with enough power they will work on a pond, that is not the issue with yours, I suspect that its starting to settle in, i doubt that .001 SG is gonna make a big difference

i have been thinking about trading it in for something else...better safe than sorry
Green brittle stars have been accused, personally I have not had a problem with the 3 I have had, but they were in larger tanks, The last one was 12+inces across so they get a bit large for a nano

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Not true, they work better in SG closer to seawater, but with enough power they will work on a pond, that is not the issue with yours, I suspect that its starting to settle in, i doubt that .001 SG is gonna make a big difference
That was my point. I should have more precise in my answer. Somtimes I make the mistake of thinking everyone is on the same experience page.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts