The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed around some plumming last weekend and re-did my return line. Since then the skimmer has yet to produce an ounce of foam, I assume this is due to the plastisizers used to manufacture the rubber hose.

This has been going on for a full 7 days now without a skimmer and I am starting to get worried, is there anything I can do to help the skimmer work again?

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Registered
682 Posts
When I replumbed my Bullet 3 a couple of weeks ago with 1” line, I noticed the skimmer had a difficult time making small bubbles. It did, however, make plenty of big bubbles. I had to tweak the gatevalve around for about a week before things settled down. It was either no skimmate at all, or water pouring over the rim.

I don’t know whether it helped, but during that first week I performed a couple of water changes just by setting the skimmer up real high and letting water pour over the rim. It seems to have speeded the process of removing whatever it was from the water, which was preventing the formation of small bubbles.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem was the plastizers used in the new plumming I added, it just took a while to blow them off I guess. I did 28 gallons worth of water changes through the skimmer in the last week and a half to try and make up for the skimmer not working.

Next time I won't forget to wash out my new pipe in fresh water before adding it to the tank.

Whiskey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts