The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been neglecting my tank due to many problems that have come up. One thing I've been having trouble with is my skimmer. I have a CPR Dual Bak Pak and it was working great and producing about a cup of green sludge every three days. Now it hasn't even produced that in a full month or two. I've heard that people normally replace the pumps on the CPRs. Does anyone have experience of which pumps I could put on it instead or any other suggestions to get it to pull out more stuff? I've taken it off and cleaned it all out with hot water multiple times but I think the pumps are shot and I don't want to buy something that won't work well.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Did you clean the air nozzle?there not the greatest skimmer(if your going to put money in it)I'd just put it into a better skimmer.:2cents:

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Give the pump a vinegar bath first. 1 part vinegar 4 parts water. Run the pump in the vinegar bath for a few hours. As the pump is cleaning itself, take a brush to the skimmer body and clean out any gunk of such you can fine. After the pump has been running in the bath, take it out, disassemble it, and brush out any gunk in the pump. After the cleaning you should know if the pump is functioning correctly.

The other thing is that the skimmer is no longer efficient enough to keep skimming. If you added the skimmer to a tank that was skimmerless for a while, there is going to be extra organics for the skimmer to skim. After a while, those extra organics will become depleted and the skimmer will produce less. THE CPR skimmer are not that efficient so it can be possible they are not producing because they need a lot of organics to be productive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts