The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 180 gal reef with an undersized skimmer. I also eventually want to add a 55 gal frag tank plumbed into the main tank. I am looking for advice on what type of skimmer is both functional and economical and possibly someone that is looking gto get rid of one via sale. I am not looking for a hand out but I'm not above taking one either.

Bill

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Welcome to TRT. Look seriously at an MSX300 series skimmer. At roughly 500 dollars, its the best bang for the buck in that size and can grow with your system.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for welcoming me. I am new to the Society and have been reef keeping for about 15 mo. now. WOW 500 bucks, my wife would kill me. She'll be able to afford one with the life insurance though.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Whats on your tank now? Its possible you could go with a second smaller skimmer to make up the difference, depending on whats on it now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bill, take a look at one of the new Vertex skimmers there is a thread on reefcentral about them. My IN100 is a workhorse and always pulls out tons of gunk. You can find them here, for the price they are just as good as the MSX300 series skimmers. You can find them elsewhere on the net and they are very good skimmers, you can stop by my house and see my IN100 if you want just give me a call. BTW I have a frag of the Tubbs birdsnest for you as well...I accidently bumped it and broke a piece off. Here is one http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...OD&Product_Code=VX-IN180&Category_Code=Vertex.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
reply back

I got the skimmer as a part of my 1st tank that I bought used the name on it says excaliber and when I had to get the pump replaced the guy at the shop said " so what do you have about a 100 gal?". In addition I have had several people come over that have looked at my tank or swapped frags and thay have all said I have a tiny skimmer. Kinda an insult to my man hood if you know what I mean.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
Thank you for welcoming me. I am new to the Society and have been reef keeping for about 15 mo. now. WOW 500 bucks, my wife would kill me. She'll be able to afford one with the life insurance though.
:rotflmao:

I almost bought the swc. Its a great skimmer for the price.

Vertex seem nice too. You should check out the RC classifieds for a deal. I have seen several euro reef recircs that will handle your 180.

You have to remember that a skimmers capabilites can not be based on its size. Its the pump to skimmer body ratio that is important. If you look at an ATB small you would think it could not handle 100 gallons but it can handle up to 250 gallons. If your parameters are all up to par and you get alot of gunk then why replace?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts