The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first setup my tank I had 0 appreciation for the true meaning of BB. Though I created a faux bottom, I had low flow, and only selected an ASM G-2 (sedra 3500) for my skimming.

Now, with much time and reading, I've learned a lot more about the theories behind BB (thanks all). With that said, I'd like to add a second skimmer, and need opinions/suggestions.

I dont have much flexibility in the space department. Here is a pic of the ASM G-2 in the first compartment of my sump: http://www.d3f.org/misc/fish/90g/16-asm2.jpg . Water enters this compartment first (where the ASM G-2 is an absolute perfect fit for, almost touching each of the edges).

The next compartment in my sump currently has some chaeto (which I hope to one day remove), and otherwise is the settling portion (mag7 return) allowing me to siphon detritus out that isnt picked up by the skimmer.

It's in this area that I'd like to add my second skimmer. I do not have much room (it is a 33g long, so depth is 12", with longer width, but cut off by the tank's brace (http://www.d3f.org/misc/fish/90g/10-tankdesk.jpg better view here).

I was considering purchasing another ASM G-2, but having a sedra 5000 used instead of the stock 3500. This is both affordable, and would fit well for my tank. However, I see lots of talk of beckets, and have eyed the MRC-1 (though it is much more involved, larger, far more expensive, and seems to require an external pump(?)).

O' masters of the BB theory, help guide me, so that I too may have success in my fledgling tank. :rotflmao: . What skimmer should I aim for?!

A pictorial history of my tank is available here: http://www.d3f.org/misc/fish/90g/ (most recent images being numbered the highest).

Thank you!

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
I have used needle-wheel skimmers, and when I got my MRC MR-2 I was blown away. I love Beckett skimmers, and I am not going back. Granted you need the right pump, it has to be pressure rated, and they suck the power (150W), but I personally feel that it is worth it. With this setup I am processing about 1,000 GPH through my skimmer, much faster than any needle-wheel I have ever used.

My skimmer is a MRC MR-2, powered by a GenX PCX 55 and I feel this is about the perfect combo, I think it would work great for your tank, I plan to use this on my 120 when I get it.

Rather than 2 skimmers, why not look into getting one MR-2? Check the dimensions, see if it will fit, if it will, I would seriously think about this option. Remember also that the MR-2 can be run externally as well, so it might give you a couple extra options.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Run them both. Run the beckett wet and the needle wheel semi-dry. I am going to eventually get a becket that matches my G-6 and do that combo.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If look back a spell there was a big debate on barebottom skimmers. You'll see where I weigh in for Becketts. Skimming wet is key and becketts do it better. The idea of running 2 skimmers is sexy and has always tempted me, but I feed like a mad man and my water quality is impeccable. So why do I need 2? You know?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Can you run Becketts internal or are they usually run outside of the sump area? I may at some point upgrade to a Beckett, but I just redesigned my sump and don't feel like doing it again ;)

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
REEF-DADDY said:
If look back a spell there was a big debate on barebottom skimmers. You'll see where I weigh in for Becketts. Skimming wet is key and becketts do it better. The idea of running 2 skimmers is sexy and has always tempted me, but I feed like a mad man and my water quality is impeccable. So why do I need 2? You know?
I just meant there is no reason to toss a good skimmer and there is some benifit to running a dry and a wet skimmer at the same time. I am not sure of the specifics but it has to do with the size of the organics that each method removes from the water.

·
Registered
307 Posts
three90s&125sump said:
I just meant there is no reason to toss a good skimmer and there is some benifit to running a dry and a wet skimmer at the same time. I am not sure of the specifics but it has to do with the size of the organics that each method removes from the water.

I smell what you are cooking. The only thing I dislike about becketts is that they stop producing foam when you feed or put your hand in the tank. NW don't have this problem. I've often thought of running both. I guess my point is what more do I need? You know?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My ASM has reduced bubble production when I feed or place my hand in. The maximum level of the bubbles reduces inside of the top chamber.

I dont want to dump this ASM, however. It has done me well for some time, and creates good levels of skimmate. Instead I want to supplement.

Also money isnt infinite for me; the best solution would be to get a skimmer that when combined with my ASM G-2, would give me a combined skimming power of a MRC MR-2, (which would be suitable for my tank, I assume).

·
Registered
307 Posts
King-Kong said:
My ASM has reduced bubble production when I feed or place my hand in. The maximum level of the bubbles reduces inside of the top chamber.

I dont want to dump this ASM, however. It has done me well for some time, and creates good levels of skimmate. Instead I want to supplement.

Also money isnt infinite for me; the best solution would be to get a skimmer that when combined with my ASM G-2, would give me a combined skimming power of a MRC MR-2, (which would be suitable for my tank, I assume).
I hear what your saying I've owned 3 ASM's. On a Beckett skimmate production is halted for 30-60 minutes after feeding, on a NW is slows down a bit but in 10-15 minutes it was always back on par. Just to be clear I am not for or against any skimmmer. My father just set up a 90 DSB and I got him a G3 for it. It just suits his needs. IME skimming wet is key for sucess in BB. NW skimmers are just not designed for it. Some people tweak them and get them to skim wet for a NW but they just can't touch the wet skimming abilty of a Beckett. I can pull out half a gallon of skimmate per day or I can pull out 5 with a twist of a knob. Not to mention features like auto shut off and the quality of an MRC product compared to an ASM

You can go out and buy a G1 for around $200 which IME/IMHO would roughly equal a MR2. You can also sell your G-2, there is a good market for used ASM's. I bet you would get $175 easy. Myreefcreations sells a MR2 package for 424 with a pcx-55. Thats easily upgraded to a MR-3 if you needed to down the line. Heck you could even get away with an MR-1($335) for now. Just my .02 after owning about 6-7 different skimmers over the years

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
REEF-DADDY said:
I hear what your saying I've owned 3 ASM's. On a Beckett skimmate production is halted for 30-60 minutes after feeding, on a NW is slows down a bit but in 10-15 minutes it was always back on par. Just to be clear I am not for or against any skimmmer. My father just set up a 90 DSB and I got him a G3 for it. It just suits his needs. IME skimming wet is key for sucess in BB. NW skimmers are just not designed for it. Some people tweak them and get them to skim wet for a NW but they just can't touch the wet skimming abilty of a Beckett. I can pull out half a gallon of skimmate per day or I can pull out 5 with a twist of a knob. Not to mention features like auto shut off and the quality of an MRC product compared to an ASM

You can go out and buy a G1 for around $200 which IME/IMHO would roughly equal a MR2. You can also sell your G-2, there is a good market for used ASM's. I bet you would get $175 easy. Myreefcreations sells a MR2 package for 424 with a pcx-55. Thats easily upgraded to a MR-3 if you needed to down the line. Heck you could even get away with an MR-1($335) for now. Just my .02 after owning about 6-7 different skimmers over the years
The main issue I have with a becket is logistics. See, for me, the NW is simple and easy to setup. No plumbing, throw it in the sump, and im done.

I could fit a G3, and possibly see about getting the sedra9000 placed on it, instead of the second g2 w/ sedra5000. That would still cost ~$60 less than the MRC-1.

I do not think I can fit an MRC-2 under my stand, not to mention the location of the pump. I think for me, the debate is; MRC-1 ($330, and I'll need help with laying it out and learning how to plumb it/use it), or ASM G-3 (with perhaps Sedra9000, cost unknown, but perhaps around $270). I do not want to sell the G-2; I'll just end up taking a hit on something that I think is working fine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
..and in regards to plumbing the MR-1, how large are the pumps, and how can I plumb the intake for the external pump without drilling the sump? I saw someone just had a flexible PVC line hanging inside of their sump; is that wise/efficient?

·
Registered
603 Posts
King-Kong said:
The main issue I have with a becket is logistics. See, for me, the NW is simple and easy to setup. No plumbing, throw it in the sump, and im done.

I could fit a G3, and possibly see about getting the sedra9000 placed on it, instead of the second g2 w/ sedra5000. That would still cost ~$60 less than the MRC-1.

I do not think I can fit an MRC-2 under my stand, not to mention the location of the pump. I think for me, the debate is; MRC-1 ($330, and I'll need help with laying it out and learning how to plumb it/use it), or ASM G-3 (with perhaps Sedra9000, cost unknown, but perhaps around $270). I do not want to sell the G-2; I'll just end up taking a hit on something that I think is working fine.
I'm with ya. Until I get a place where I can setup an "equipment room" or a basement sump area, I don't think it is practical to do a skimmer that is outside of my sump area.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PaintGuru said:
I'm with ya. Until I get a place where I can setup an "equipment room" or a basement sump area, I don't think it is practical to do a skimmer that is outside of my sump area.
Exactly. While I try to make the inside of my tank look beautiful, I think we sometimes forget about the outside (those of us lacking thousands in square feet of extra space). It's important that I not expand the mini-empire my tank is already taking up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
King-Kong said:
..and in regards to plumbing the MR-1, how large are the pumps, and how can I plumb the intake for the external pump without drilling the sump? I saw someone just had a flexible PVC line hanging inside of their sump; is that wise/efficient?
Do this call Andy at MRC, it will be time well spent for you. The plumbing is really very easy, but ask Andy what your options are. You can even run these things in a little water. Good Luck Steve

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
REEF-DADDY said:
Do this call Andy at MRC, it will be time well spent for you. The plumbing is really very easy, but ask Andy what your options are. You can even run these things in a little water. Good Luck Steve
:drool: I sent him a lengthy email earlier this morning containing pics of my setup and asking for the very same thing; I eagerly await their response.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
King-Kong said:
:drool: I sent him a lengthy email earlier this morning containing pics of my setup and asking for the very same thing; I eagerly await their response.
What did you ever do with this?

I have not been able to get much success with my MR2, how did you plumb it? I will start another thread with pics of my plumbing, that doesnt work.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I never got a response, actually.

But unrelated to that lack of response, I did not purchase the skimmer. Instead, I increased the flow in my tank from aprox 4000gph to 5500gph. I also began to skim very wet (tea) with my ASM G-2.

The increased flow kept things in suspension longer and my skimmer production went through the roof! A long with that any nuissance algae's have all dissapeared or stopping growing all together (still have some bubbles which are stationary.. and growing corraline on them!).

I actually re-increased my flow just a few days ago by purchasing a vortech powerhead. It replaced 1 Seio 1500 and 1 Seio 1100, so I have added over 500gph to the tank. I am now at around 69x turnover, and again, skimmer production is really kicking butt.

I have still not ruled out getting a new/bigger skimmer, but as of right now, I have no short term plans in purchasing one.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
How do you like that Vortech? I just recently saw that on-line. It's got the motor outside the glass, right? How is the flow? Can you describe it...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's crazy :)

I mean, outside of the obvious attributes listed on the web site (http://www.ecotechmarine.com/products/vortech.htm) one thing I've been most impressed by it is the spread of the stream.

The largest powerheads I have are 2 Seio 1500(gph) and they make a pretty nice flow pattern -- or so I thought. The width of the vortech stream is INCREDIBLE. It negates the need to "aim" it, because the stream is so wide and tall that the current gets everywhere.

Also, the wet-side cage around the propeller is well made and easier on snails! My Seio 1100 and 1500 always ate snails, but this Vortech has large enough gaps that the flow doesnt jam a snail in. They can still escape. It replaced a Seio 1500 and a Seio 1100, and as expected it creates more flow than the two of them combined.

I will probably be buying another in the future to replace my second set of Seios, but I am going to wait until they work more of the kinks out and get the more recent production changes out to vendors (shipping now).

Also, the customer service is incredible. I posted in their forum/topic last night, and at 10pm got a reply. Due to some odd irregularities they are shipping me out fixed parts, free of charge. They realize that this is a very expensive product, and a very new product. In return, they are oferring the best service i've seen -- they know how important it is to not lose a customer, as once theyre gone, they tend to not return.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts