The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what i am looking for is what you think are the best designs and what makes them the best , and what you think are the worst designs and why ?
as an example - worst design feature in i believe all skimmers made is none removable bottoms ! no matter how hard i try i cannot get the bottom clean , tried bottle brushes , high pressure hose , you name it ! i have even thought about cutting the bottom off and use a big rubber coupler to seal it back up . would it leak ? probally but if its in the sump who cares !
next thing is "the reaction chamber " , i have two different styles of skimmers , both 5" dia. bodies but the necks on both models reduce down to 2" before emptying in the cup . is there a reason why it needs to shrink to such a small dia . ? its seems as this would cause the efficiency to drop .
some of this info i am looking at is because i'm about to build my own design skimmer and kind of want to hear others bad experiances so i don't duplicate them .
here is what i have planned so far . i already have the 8" dia. acrylic tube and the pump and the beckett . i have to decide on a height , and what to do with the 'neck ' and skimmer cup .
this will be a beckett driven skimmer powered by a mak -5 pump ( which is the eqivilent to a iwaki 70 rlt ) , i have no plans to narrow the neck , so the body will remain 8" the entire length . ther will be no removable skimmer cup so to speak of but what i plan is cutting a piece of larger ( maybe 10" ) that will serve as a drain area and be secured to the outside of the body with a drain port . and of course have a lid . now i know the first problem i can think of is with no neck will the foam flow over the edges ? will i have a concentration of skimmate in the middle that will just sink back down ? one thing i have thought of is to direct the intake nozzles to create a whirl-pool effect and as the foam reaches the top it kind of gets slung over the edges , any thoughts on this ? one thing i have noticed with most beckett styles is that they are sealed , is there a reason to this other than when using a collection cup it stops foaming when full ? one thing for sure is it WILL have a removable bottom ! thanks all .

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
but the necks on both models reduce down to 2" before emptying in the cup . is there a reason why it needs to shrink to such a small dia . ? .
It's so they can make a cheap skimmer that doesn't produce a lot of foam, look like it does. ;)

Actually, when everyone was sold on the drier the better idea, you can keep the water level low in the skimmer and still have enough pressure to blow dry foam out that narrow neck.

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you feel it is more of a sales gimmick ? " look at how much foam our skimmer makes " kind of thing:) ! so would the foam rise no matter what ? how hard do you think it would be to get foam to drain with out the "may the force be with you " reduction ? would the water level have to be so close to the top that any flucuation would cause headaches with keeping it dialed in ?

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Well I am partial to the recirc needlewheel.:) Oops I said it.:funny: Here we go again.:rolleyes: I have seen both becketts and recircs run and IMO the recirc is the better of the two. Allthough the becketts are a darn good skimmer. The newer style recirc needlewheels are on the the theory of more contact time is better and the becketts are on the theory that more throughput is better. This debate can go on and on and on. The important thing is that they both are great skimmers in there own ways.:)

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a hard time buying the recirc's therory . i can't understand why you would want the stuff floating around any longer than it has to . i have thought about a needle wheel pump , but for what i want to do i don't think there is one big enough ! (aside from the highly priced red dragon pumps ).

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
gwaco said:
i have a hard time buying the recirc's therory . i can't understand why you would want the stuff floating around any longer than it has to . i have thought about a needle wheel pump , but for what i want to do i don't think there is one big enough ! (aside from the highly priced red dragon pumps ).
And I have a hard time buying the beckett theory of blow as much through as possible.:) Sure I could run 15,000 gph through my skimmer but when I can do it with 300-400gph why not. Why not just do it right the first time? Why the need to process so many GPH when you only get so much turnover from the display? The needlewheel concept is to get the bubbles as small as possible creating more surface area for organics to attach to. What I am getting at is why not do it right the first time:). And yes I do run it wet

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Here's the catch. Beckets do not work that well when they are under powered. And powering one right will not work in a lot of the smaller skimmers.
Needlewheels and even some venturies will work better in smaller skimmers where you can't get enough force to operate a becket right. If the skimmer is small enough and designed right, air driven might even be a better choice.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
I wonder if somebody built a recerc needlewheel that was 4-6 feet tall, and 6 inches around, if it would work, that would get rid of the airstone problem, and give the water amasing contact time, plus you could fire water through it at a very high rate, and run it straight off your tank drain, while still haveing a water dwell time (time in the skimmer) be over that magic 2 min.

The only problem is that the skimmer would hold about 30 gallons.

Whiskey

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
The only problem is that the skimmer would hold about 30 gallons.
Whiskey[/quote]

I dont see any problem with that if the tank is 700 gallons!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Abruptly dropping from a large diameter tube to a smaller one (like 6" to 2") seems like a place to lose a lot of the pump energy. I like the skimmer designs that keep the same diameter throughout or gradually reduce from one size to another.

I'm not a fan of the waste collectors that shut down the skimmer. I've had skimmers just about leap out of the sump when the collector cup shut down the flow with the back pressure.

I like the design of mazzei injectors though I've found little help sizing them to pumps. They appear to need pressure rated pumps too.

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quote - Here's the catch. Beckets do not work that well when they are under powered. And powering one right will not work in a lot of the smaller skimmers ]
so at was size ( dia & height) does a needlewheel pump become ineffective ? and on the flip side what is considered too small for a beckett ?
quote-[ Abruptly dropping from a large diameter tube to a smaller one (like 6" to 2") seems like a place to lose a lot of the pump energy. I like the skimmer designs that keep the same diameter throughout or gradually reduce from one size to another.]
this is why i am designing my own as i have yet to see a skimmer that maintains its body all the way up to the skimmer cup . i agree that the current designs waste alot of energy , but as stated earlier it makes for easy marketing ! the shrinking diameter seems to just be the standard among manufactuers so i wonder why ? will a straight diameter body not work ? will the foam not dispense into the cup without a restriction ?

quote-[ I'm not a fan of the waste collectors that shut down the skimmer. I've had skimmers just about leap out of the sump when the collector cup shut down the flow with the back pressure.]
i asked about sealed units earlier , so you feel there is no reason to have the unit be sealed?

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
As long as there's no leaking there should be no problem with the skimmer having a removable bottom at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Most skimmer makers do seem to reduce the diameter drastically. Is it to support the head of foam on its way to the cup?

gwaco said:
the shrinking diameter seems to just be the standard among manufactuers so i wonder why ? will a straight diameter body not work ? will the foam not dispense into the cup without a restriction ?

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
gwaco said:
i have yet to see a skimmer that maintains its body all the way up to the skimmer cup .
Their out there. Probably the most famous is Mike's Precision's Bullet series, and Andy's MR series.

The reduced neck is a adaptation for hobbyists of a commercial design. Probably because the older skimmers marketed for the hobby were not powerful enough and everyone had to push dry foam because of that.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Spanky said:
Their out there. Probably the most famous is Mike's Precision's Bullet series, and Andy's MR series.

The reduced neck is a adaptation for hobbyists of a commercial design. Probably because the older skimmers marketed for the hobby were not powerful enough and everyone had to push dry foam because of that.

What do you mean by not powerful enough? Are you saying you can't run wet with a reduced neck?

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Spanky said:
Running wet is a lot harder with reduced neck skimmers though.
That would depend on the model skimmer. I am able to constantly run wet with little to no tweaking of the gate valve.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts