The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hooked up my new skimmer the other night to test the plumbing to and from the external pump to make sure it was going to work fine before cementing the pvc in place. Never before have i seen sooooo many micro bubbles in the tank. the whole left side of the tank was instantly filled, almost to the point that you couldnt see into it. How do i get rid of them? i have heard/seen of like a sponge on the output side of the skimmer, or a hob box kind of like an ov erflow or something. any suggestions on the CHEAPEST and BEST route?
the setup is a berlin HO dual venturi skimmer and the pump is a blue line sd 1105gph pump.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Try to find someone with a Coralife style drain box for the skimmer. The water drains from the skimmer into a foam block and then back out of the box. The bubbles get trapped in the box.

With an 1100gph pump, what size skimmer is that? It almost sounds like your problem is the water is moving so fast that the bubbles don't have time to dissipate from the skimmer and get sucked out the drain.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,016 Posts
Is that pump what is reccomended for that skimmer? Often times after a skimmer breaks in for a week or so the microbubbles will die down a whole lot, then what's left the baffles and bubble traps in the sump take care of.

I don't like putting sponges on the output of skimmers because when the sponge clogs the skimmer will overflow (Only place for water to go is out the top).

If you need to use a sponge I would put it on the return pump, but I would consider this a last resort.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Is that pump what is reccomended for that skimmer? Often times after a skimmer breaks in for a week or so the microbubbles will die down a whole lot, then what's left the baffles and bubble traps in the sump take care of.

I don't like putting sponges on the output of skimmers because when the sponge clogs the skimmer will overflow (Only place for water to go is out the top).

If you need to use a sponge I would put it on the return pump, but I would consider this a last resort.

HTH,
Whiskey
Have you seen the sponge filters used on a Coralife skimmer? They are housed in a box that is put either inside the sump or inside the display tank. The holes aren't small enough to actually trap anything. They serve more as a baffle stop for the air bubbles. The same effect can be caused using a baffle system instead of the sponge. The idea isn't to filter matter out, simply stop the air bubbles.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the skimmer is supposed to have a mag7 or similar, but i have read that they dont work too well with that. i was recommended to get at least a 9.5. i do have a ball valve hooked up to the output to the skimmer so i can adjust the flow if neccessary, but during the test run i had it open full throttle. and there was probably air leaks from the pvc connections because i hadnt glued them yet. it was just a mock up to see if everything was going to work fine.
And onedummhikk, glad to see you back. been a while.lol

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the input water line has been glued now, working on the return to the skimmer. ill post up pics of my ghetto rigging here in about 10-15. then i have to wait for it to dry, but should have it running in the next hour or two.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
the skimmer is supposed to have a mag7 or similar, but i have read that they dont work too well with that. i was recommended to get at least a 9.5. i do have a ball valve hooked up to the output to the skimmer so i can adjust the flow if neccessary, but during the test run i had it open full throttle. and there was probably air leaks from the pvc connections because i hadnt glued them yet. it was just a mock up to see if everything was going to work fine.
And onedummhikk, glad to see you back. been a while.lol
What I would do, me personally, is put a valve between the pump and the skimmer (gate or ball, I prefer gate valves), and adjust the water flow down until the skimmer stops spitting out air bubbles. Let the skimmer run and break in. Every other day or so, turn the water volume up until you get air bubbles, then adjust it back down to kill them.

After it breaks in, I still don't think you will ever run the pump fully open. Its just too much water flow. The only way to increase water volume through the skimmer is to either build a larger skimmer or speed the water up. With a set size skimmer, if you increase the water flow through it (more gph) you get more velocity of the water (flows faster). Its the same principle as your water hose. The more water you run through it, the faster the water is moving. The faster it moves, the less time it has to "lose" the bubbles. And you eventually lose efficiency in the skimmer because you are cutting down on the contact time the bubbles have with the water. If the water is running through it at 600gph then the water will spend more time in the skimmer body than at 1100gph and that means less contact time. Less contact time means a less efficient skimmer.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
and the skimmer size is as follows, 19 1/2 high, 15in diameter
its the triple pass berlin HO
15 inch diameter? On a Hang On skimmer? You have a link that shows the skimmer? That is super huge to be a hang on skimmer. At that size, the skimmer would hold just under 15 gallons of water. At 8.33 pounds per gallon (nominal) that would put the skimmer weighing almost 130 pounds hanging on the side of a tank :)

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Is this skimmer's outflow going directly into the display or is it located in a sump? It's very difficult to totally eliminate microbubbles on a skimmer in the display - you either have to slow the flow down (which may decrease it's effectiveness) or you have to use a bubble trap (which has to be cleaned frequently or else it will trap detritus and become a wet/dry filter and produce tons of nitrate). For now, I would let the skimmer break in, you can't really make any adjustments or judgements until then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts