The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I once again am showing my noobieness, so let me ask a question. I have been reading links on skimmers (a lot about Geoff's design) and came up with a question... well actually three ;)

1) In this pic to me it looks like the return from the skimmer is going to a pvc pipe all the way around the sump. Is there a reason for that? Some hidden bennie? Or am I just nuts?

2) Some of the reading I have done, can not remember exact thread anymore since I have read for about a week now, talked about getting rid of the skimmer cup. Replace it with some pvc that leads back into the tank. Wouldent that just take all of the waste and dump it back in? There would not be a cup to collect the waste?

3) My current skimmer cup has a drain hole on the bottom that allows everything to flow back into the sump. Should I plug that one and put a new drain about 1/2 way up the cup? Give the waste a chance to settle below the drain before the water hits the return?

erick..

·
11,345 Posts
Im not sure i understand question # 3.......i dont build my own skimmers...i buy them so ill let the people who do answer question #1....

as far as question #2, you ont want to get RID of the skimmer cup so much as have a hole drilled into it so you can pipe or hose it so that it overflows into a larger collection cup/bucket elsewhere.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think the skimmer return is going to the first chamber so the bubbles won't get pulled into the display by the return pump.

the drain in the cup is so you don't have to empty the cup as often. It shouldn't be drained back into the sump. It should go into a bucket or seperate collection cup.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
#1- you are correct in your thinking that the return from the skimmer went all around the refugium, then back into the display. i was just trying to get more less flow through the refugium. eventually that entire refugium was removed and a 4" diameter PVC chiller/heater area was installed.

#3- the drain on the collection cup is for draining into an external jug for larger volumes of skimmate collection. i had mine dumping into a 1 gallon glass jar for a while. eventually i had the collection cup plumbed into my house septic system. never needed to empty a collection cup again. :D

G~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts