The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone heard of this thing? I can't seem to find anything on it. s'posed to be a filter, skimmer combo, but no info. is it a brand name or what?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would not waste my time or money if I were you, I have seen two different folks with them and I believe they now use them for a toothbrush holder. They work well for that purpose. There are other skimmers in the price range that are much more dependable and efficient. Just my opinion, which any of these folks will tell you is worth much less than two cents.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Talk to Jimmer.... seems to me I rembember a thread of tank mistakes and he brought up that he had bought a skilter

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, guys. for a change, no differing opinions....very consistent...lol

·
Super Moderator
22,401 Posts
Yup garbage,,,,,IMO,,,had one,,,(i'll admit it)heard there was a mod to make it work mo' better,,,,dunno,,,,pass on it,,,,look around ,,,ask us , give us details (tank etc.) and get a feel for the one you want,,,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really don't want to blow this one 'cause I'm running a 66 now, and am planning on a 180 for Christmas......this way I can start planning for it.

·
Administrator
47,619 Posts
Monique, a modified skilter (esp a free one) is ok for a nano tank , but if you are thinking to upgrade to a 180, you might check out MyReef or Reeffanatic, they are sponsors and see what they have to offer. Skimmers for a tank that size don't come cheap, but both offer (I believe) reasonably priced Beckett style skimmers, HTH

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, Doug. I'm hoping to set them up to run as one....not sure how to do it yet.

·
Administrator
47,619 Posts
Well the "Beckett" is a pond nozzle that mixes a LOT of air with water, creates a frothy fountain in its original application.
However when used in skimmers it inside a larger tube with a T fitting that allows it to drawn in air because of pressure differntial. Sorta the same thing as a venturi skimmer but a lot more volume in a fairly compact package, with a well designed collection box and skimmer column they are very efficient for there size, allowing hi performance skimmers to fit in cabinet for sump. the big Red Sea Berlin, Nautilous and other skimmers in that price range are cheaper but I don't think they compare to a beckett type. I hate to see someone spend $200 or so on a skimmer they regret later :( Either of the vendors I listed will help you pick the one that will work for you, recommend pumps to drive it and can do custom sizes if need be

1 - 13 of 13 Posts