The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Six-lined wrasse has an odd, pinkish-orange mottling on it's entire body that has been coming on gradually for about a month. Is this normal due to age or diet? I feed thawed brine shrimp and a thawed spirulina formula daily. I have 5 reef chromis, a royal gramma, a tomato clownfish, a common blenny and a Pacific blue tang and none of them are having any problems. The wrasse is not acting unusually - just has a color issue. Anybody ever seen such a thing?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Hmm, not sure that I really understand what you're describing. I know that fish is a blur, but any chance you could catch a picture of it?

Welcome to TRT!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, but I just tried for about 30 minutes to get a picture and he will not allow it. Quick little thing (I got some great shots of the water he was in 1/100 of a second before, though!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that fancy of a camera. I'll keep trying, but can't promise pictures. I'll try to describe it better: It looks like spots on a giraffe, only orangish spots on a green body. The stripes are unaffected. Its like he's fading in small splotches from head to tail on both sides of his body. Again, its not acting sick, he swims the way he always has. I'm just curious, not worried.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I saw some light colored spots on a wrasse at work one day. They looked damaged scales to me, like another fish had beaten him up. He coincidentally got a touch of ich, I gave him a FW dip and these little creatures turned white and fell off. EWW! They were about 1/8 in long and oval shaped (like a fish scale) I'm not sure if thats what your fishes markings are shaped like, but I thought I'd throw it out there - just in case. Although I found these on a wrasse, they were later identified as the bugs that cause black spot on tangs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for throwing it out there, but it is purely a coloration or pigmentation issue - no parasites (there's no mistaking that with this particular fish). I'm going to get pictures of this up by the end of this weekend - apparently nobody has ever seen this before and I'm getting real curious.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I think he just has freckles :) Looks like thats just his pattern. Mine won't stay still enough to get a good look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts