The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I may be worrying unnecessarily but would like to pick your brains if you dont mind. I am new to the hobby and new to TRT :)

We set up our 120L tank 8 weeks ago, left it set up for 2-3weeks with just live rock until ammonia/nitrate/nitrite were all zero (they actually never spiked massively at all,must have already cycled), then another week with just cleaner crew in - hermits, cleaner shrimp and snails.

2 clowns and a malu anemone followed, then a wk later a small six line wrasse, and most recently a pair of bang eye cardinals. None of the fish seem to bother each other at all, even at feeding. The only tensions we see are occasionally between the shrimp/crabs!

All is going really well and seems very healthy, but the wrasse has started behaving differently for the last 48-72h. He used to be a MASSIVE eater - brine shrimp, mysis, spirulia, krill etc liked it all and developed quite a gut after gorging himself! The last two feeds hes not bothered with at all. I knpw they feed off of the rock too, but hes spent lots of his time hiding with his head poked into the rockwork over the last couple of days, or tucked into a crevice in the rock hiding. He was really active before, darting around everywhere. I have watched the new cardinals closely and never seen any interaction at all and the clowns have never bothered him; they are happy in their anemone and if anything he used to antagonise them a little bit!

Is it usual for them to have periods like this, or is something up? He appears visibly normal and when he is moving about, does so normally, but I don't understand the sudden hiding behaviour and reluctance to eat. We haven't seen any changes in any of the other fish who are all eating well.

Water parameters: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5-10, pH 8.4, SG 1.024, Temp 24.5C

Thanks in advance,
Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Steph x

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Off subject but imo that tank is way to new for a nem they prefer established tanks with petfect water parameters. Your tank is still very unstable and unestablished. Six line wrasse are hardy and aggressive my guess would be water quality or disease. How long ago did you last test?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The anemone is doing fine, eats well, looks great, has found a place it likes and is settled and growing. Its the wrasse that concerns me. We tested yesterday and all was as listed above.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts