The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I have a question...
when I go to change water to get out the crap on the bottom of the sand bed should I use my handy dandy plastic tube to suck out stuff like I would my fresh water? If the answer is yes, aren't I sucking out things in my sand bed that are alive and I want there?

Can someone explain this house keeping task to me? I feel a bit dumb..

·
Registered
616 Posts
That's a good question, I've often wondered the same thing. I always worry that my spaghetti worms will get sucked out.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I think those who keep shallow sand beds w/ a coarse sand do this....but if you have a DSB or very fine sand then I would not do it.

I use a turkey baster to "clear up" any dead spots w/ detrius before I siphon out of the main tank for my water change. I blow off my rocks a couple times a week and let the skimmer and filter sock catch the gunk too.

So......Yes you could be removing beneficial fauna, or even worse (in DSB) be releasing toxins into the tank. Get a good long turkey baster and gently blow the detrius! HTH

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have about 5 inches of sand in mine and siphon it with every water change. Been doing it that way for over 20 years now.
I just do the top layer and use one of those small gravel washers so I can go slowly. I don't like killing anything lol so if a starfish, spaghetti worm, etc. go in it I pinch the tubing closed and let it out.
With my reef being that old theres alot of detritis and it would be a cesspool by now if I did'nt.
You don't want to go deep down and disturb the anarobic part.

kass

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I just skim over the top of the sand and it pretty much just pulls up detrius. Before I knew what they were I tried to siphon up my spagetti worms but they were pretty rooted in the sand an wouldn't come up. And like kass said you can pinch the tube and anything that got sucked up will come right back out.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Atach a toothpick to the end of the hose (rubberband works good) to stir the top of the sand and then you just suck the detritus.

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ReelFreak said:
I use a turkey baster to "clear up" any dead spots w/ detrius before I siphon out of the main tank for my water change. I blow off my rocks a couple times a week and let the skimmer and filter sock catch the gunk too.

HTH
sO WHAT IS A FILTER SOCK? and where does one put it? I am guessing a sump, which I don't have yet...
sorry for the screaming couldn't hear my typing over the kids LOL

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
the filter sox goes on the discharge from the tank in to the sump, I am not really a big fan of them since you will have to clean it/replace it every couple of days but there are reefers who like them a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts