The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday first time siphoned small detrius accumulations on the starboard - using usual clear flexible hose, water flowing down into container, then put water back into tank using Maxi-Jet 1200 power head with flexible hose on the outflow, directed into 100 mk sock (my sump is side-by-side, not below the main tank).
The problem is that smallest particles from LR, like silt, were flowing through this sock and again settled on the starboard.
What are you using, and is there better way to do that?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I siphon my tanks fine particles to the sump, but the sump is off. (pump off, no flow through the sump) when I'm done with the tank, I clean out the sump. Besides cleaning the sump, its a great way to do a water change. I have found that over time I have less and less sloughing from the rocks as there is less and less in the sump.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, it will be 20% weekly water change... I was hoping to syphon twice weekly, and only one of them with 10% water change.

And twice a day excess of food removal, together with prefilter sponges at the powerheads and micron sock in the sump removing for a cleaning every other day, add another 5% water change weekly.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very reasonable, thanks. And I'm planning to get Turboflotor T100 skimmer next month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts