The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I figured out how ta take pics off my phone and send them to my email so I can post some pics of my tank finally!!No nice digital cam yet, low on the funds and sushi chefs cannot accept tips at my werk.(YEA I KNOW I KNOW!!)Anywayz res is so so but the pics are small but thats what I got for now.30 gallon oceanic cube with 10 gallon fuge, 70w MH-14k with blue/white led's for night and morning.Ehime 80gl canister filter with poly pads some carbon and bio media(iffy on what I should fill the canister with?)ehime hooks to a 60w UV sterilizer then to the display tank.Fuge has lots of LS and 10/12lbs of LR and lotts of cheato and one mangrove.Shotty corallife super skimmer in the back of the fuge and a quietone 600 in the front, oppisit of the skimmer, that returns to a switch curret director and then to the display.Display has a koralia 3x and a tunze turbelle.The whole thing overflows to fuge with a CPR 1200 overflo unit and drops right over the skimmer.Lotts of coral and two true percs,male and female but no mating yet.One tiger pistol and high fin and a little pygmy hawk,oh and a fire gobie.As for inverts one huge cleaner a big crocea,one brittle star,lots of hermits and some nasarius.Losing a battle with one of my acros right now, think it's the red acro bugs!!!But other than that things are good.The female clown is deffinitly not camera shy, shes always try'in to pose when ever I break out my phone LOL!

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
cool looking tank! wonderful pictures!
Ehime 80gl canister filter with poly pads some carbon and bio media(iffy on what I should fill the canister with?)
since it is hooked to the UV, fill it with nothing, canisters are nto really a good reef filter system. you will end up breaking it down to clean at least once a week if not more. just use it to move the water. maybe add a carbon area to it for polishing during water changes

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I been reading about filters for reef tanks.Canisters are for freashwater tanks and thats what I graduated from almost 2 years ago.I guess old habits die hard!Sooooooo.......whats the deal here tims????Is it not do'in the eco any good hav'in it hooked up?I do have to sevice it alot,but feel like tak'in it off would chip at the integrity of the system(water,nitrate,amonnia)Do u know if there is a filter that werks well with reef systems,or do I just need to let filter contraptions and gadgets go all in all and trust the natural set-up?

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
hahhah.
the basic filter set up for our type of systems is the skimmer and Live rock.
you already are running a Refuge. you can add a sock of carbon to it..Removing the filter from the system should not harm the intrgrity of your system..
Refges and sumps are great for hiding the various hings we use, heaters, skimmer, UV, etc..
often times the refuge are is more used as a algae export station then a Refuge for fish or corals..

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Nice shots Morgan!
I have a Camera I could sell/trade you for cheap, as I just got a new one.
As for the canister if they are not cleaned out allot they become a nitrate trap. With that being said I ran one for the first year or so on my reef with poor maintenance on it. :(
But that was back when I had a softie dominant tank w/ lots of happy Xenia and macro filtering the water.
The majority of the filtration comes from the LR and your skimmer, as well as waterchanges.
You can keep it for water movement and for adding carbon and Tims mentioned, as long as you keep it clean.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MAN U GUYS A GREAT!!!I'm not go'in anywear else if I need some info!!This site really helps me out alot!!Scott,hit me with some #'s on the camera and send a pic!Cuz all I got iz pics with my phone.So I'm gonna take ur advice on the filter and keep it for water polishing and try to move it to wear it will be easier for me to access for cleaning.So whats with the crushed coral in yur scott??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts