The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have any info on the catfish that lives in freshwater and return to brackish or saltwater environment as they get older, (Arius seemani)?
I saw a couple of these in a salt tank and liked the idea of non-aggressive bottom feeders. I know they can get large over time but thought I would ask.
:fish:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm happy to report...

I owned two of these beauties (named "Bonnie and Clyde") for almost 6 years. They began has 2" little guys and ended up at 13" behemoths before I had to send them to a good home as they outgrew my tank.

They are great bottom feeders at all stages, but they must be acclimated from fresh (at about 2"-5") to brackish (at about 5"-9") then maintained at brackish or moved into full salt from then on. It's essential the acclimation be slow and not rushed.

They really seemed to enjoy sand as adults and mud as children. When they were little and up to about 8" they ate shrimp pellets but also enjoyed a bit of tetrazini (tetras and other small fish in the freshwater aquarium kept disappearing). So while they are gentle, smaller fish will disappear. When they were large I fed them "Massivore Delight," or thawed frozen scallops because they ignored the shrimp pellets (beneath their notice they told me). They loved that!

I would say they are "reef-safe", but keep in mind they can reach up to 20" or more given space! My two were VERY skittish when larger than 8", going from a standstill to zipping into a tank wall (one even developed an ongoing blister scar as a result) just because someone walked by their tank. This behavior could cause them to topple rocks and knock off corals so minimal obstructions are recommended. These guys need a larger tank than their overall length would suggest! Because of that, a custom tank long and tall would be recommended.

I've heard tales of them nipping and biting people, but mine never did, they were too busy trying to get away from me.

So they're not the easiest fish to keep. But I miss them terribly, because they were so long, silver, and graceful. If you can afford their special requirements, I heartily recommend them. You may, however, end up giving them up for adoption someday just as I did...

Hope that helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts