The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I have a problem, not a life threatening one, but a problem nonetheless. When ever I do a water change or change the filter in my eclipse hood, silt come flying out from where the filter pad was sitting. See when the filter is in place, the silt is stationary and has equilibrated, but once the water flow changes, either from changing the filter or the water, the silt moves, and literally pours into my tank and circulates for about a day.

The filter itself doesn'ttrap the silt for some reason. Its sitting under the filter pad.

Is there any way I can get rid of this silt without taking the entire hood off (not very possible with all the cords and attachemnts and whatnot.

thanks

LS

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I would turn off the hood, pull the filter pad out... and then use a shop vac to suck the silt out. you may want to raise the lift tube a few inches so it is further up from the bottom. that will reduce the amount of silt you get.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Silt is not damaging to the coral or fish... but when it is in the water column it will reduce the penetration of light. It also can damage the impeller on your pumps.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
zxcv123 said:
somebody who matters correct me if im wrong: But isnt silt harmless/
Depends on whether we are talking about true silt (fine insoluble particulates) or detrital mulm (which is more likely with biologically active systems). Silt is not a problem, as it will provide more surface area for benthic bacteria to colonize, but detritus is another issue. We should be exporting it whenever possible before it begins to decompose into its constituents (like ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and phosphate...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts