The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home last night to find my Blue tang stuck in a rock head first.
Apparently she stuck her head in the hole, decided she couldn't get out so went in deeper into the rock.

I was not too sure how to get her out. I very softly pulled on her tail, but she didn't move. She was stuck. I knew she would die if I left her in there.

I ran to the garage grabbed a flat screw driver and a hammer. My wife held the rock towards the surface of the tank while I carefully broke pieces off around the tang until it was free. She's fine now, swimming around like it never happened. I was happy to see she didn't really scratch herself. I fed her shortly after. She's a happy fish again.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
Blue tangs (Hippo Tangs) do that,.. there not the brightest fish in the sea IMHO, and when freaked out will jam themselfs between, or in rock. I really wouldn't freak out about it too much, most of the time they can get out of their own accord.

Don't worry if you see him sleeping sideways wedged in a rock,.. it's just what they do,.. it's even funnier when they miss the hole there trying to dive into :funny:

Whiskey

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Blue tangs (Hippo Tangs) do that,.. there not the brightest fish in the sea IMHO, and when freaked out will jam themselfs between, or in rock. I really wouldn't freak out about it too much, most of the time they can get out of their own accord.

Don't worry if you see him sleeping sideways wedged in a rock,.. it's just what they do,.. it's even funnier when they miss the hole there trying to dive into :funny:

Whiskey
So then i guess Dori in Finding Nemo is actually somewhat true with the nature of hippo tangs

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, no picture. I was too concerned with it dying to get the camera.
I regret it now of course :)

It is a blue tang. Her name is Violet.

I did find her this morning laying on top of the rocks sleeping.
Such a funny fish.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
that must have been a sight to see...just glad that she seems ok and did not injure herself!
On a side note... I got my head stuck in the slats of a bed too, WHEN I WAS 3 YEARS OLD!!! I still remember it vividly! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts