The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my water started getting cloudy the other day after i added a few pounds of LR . is the lr the cause or am i getting an algae bloom. i did a 10% water change. and then i turned the lights off for a couple of days and it started getting better, but when i turned the lights back on it clouded up again. not supper cloudy just enough to annoy me. the only fish in the tank is a pink spotted shrimp goby. just dont wanna hurt the little guy. any ideas on what is causing the cloudiness...algae bloom???

·
ALWAYS MORE 2 LEARN!!
1,304 Posts
My guess would be a little die off from the new rock, wouldn't think it's a big deal. My $.02

·
Bob Lablaw
892 Posts
Could just be some sand in the water colum, you could always throw on a HOB filter with some carbon to see if it helps clear it up.

·
Bob Lablaw
892 Posts
What I do to get a cheap HOB is go to Petsmart.com and find the one that I want and thats in the price range that I want, print out the page and then take it to a local Petsmart store. They should match the listed price (atleast the 2 that I have been to have). The last one I got was list on the web for $15 and in the store it was like $25, so it saved me a good amount.

Rich

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
is the cloudiness white in tint, or green?

if it is white it could be a bacterial bloom caused by the change of water that it is in, if this is the case then it will pass safely with time. you might want to double check your ammonia levels though.

if it is brown or green tinted then it is most likely die off, and then you should definately check your ammonia levels. if they have become elevated, consider taking the rock out and scrubbing the heck out of it with a brush in a bucket of water to remove and dying material that might be one it, if it happens to be uncured for example, and then continue to do water changes frequently until the ammonia levels drop and things settle back down.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
H20cooled said:
What I do to get a cheap HOB is go to Petsmart.com and find the one that I want and thats in the price range that I want, print out the page and then take it to a local Petsmart store. They should match the listed price (atleast the 2 that I have been to have). The last one I got was list on the web for $15 and in the store it was like $25, so it saved me a good amount.

Rich
I do this also. I got the AC500 for $32 and in the store its $75!! Now thats a price markup.

·
Bob Lablaw
892 Posts
I know isn't amazing the price difference on some of those items. They tried to tell me in the store that it is because you have to pay shipping, but there is no way that its that much for shipping.

Rich

·
Registered
321 Posts
liquidfunk said:
just wait, the bateria levels will even out themselves.
Ditto. Let it go where ever it's going to go, and pick it up after it's done sorting itself out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts