The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to silicone an acrylic L bracket into my glass sump to hold a kent marine float valve. is there any danger in using aquarium silicone in a funtioning sump? The water level would be about 3" below where im siliconing.

Do i need to turn off the retun pump or skimmer while it cures?

i could reduce the water level to a total of 6" from the siliconing area.

Thanks, Brandon.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I glued an acrylic piece for the same purpose. I placed it against one of the baffles. I did this with the sump being empty, and let it dry for 24 hrs.
I would suggest you run the tank without the sump for a day.
Clean the glass for better adherence. Let the silicone cure a fair amount of time. If you have powerheads, you can let them circulate your tank water while your L bracket attaches completely to the glass, and shun the risk of contamination.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does anyone know if curinging silicone will contaminate nearby water? would just taking the sump out of opperation be enough safe guard?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Taking the sump out of operation means that you would have to remove the water in it, at least to a safe level (far enough from water surface). Putting the sump out would keep any water movement inside the sump from spoiling the work. You could place the water from the sump in a tub if you want and then put it back in the sump. This could also be a good moment for a major water change, if you need one too. Once the silicone is completely cured, it's harmless to the water in your sump.
My advice, I would take out all the water from the sump, clean the surface to glue very well, apply the silicone, attach the bracket, put some tape to keep it in place, if necessary, wait for the silicone to cure (at least 24 hrs), put water back in the sump and get it working again.

My 2 cents.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't..... it pretty much holds everything else together....

You may want to rough up the glass first with a bit of sandpaper to give the sealent something to hold on to....

·
Registered
97 Posts
anyone else? is crazy glue really safe? I need to glue a 2" acrylic tube to the center of a 4" PVC end cap (for my DIY protein skimmer). Tried silicone, but it doesn't really hold that well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.