The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
CntntEdtr for Aquarist.Me
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, while walking to class today, I noticed for the umptenth :)cool:its a number really) time that the salt on the sidewalk makes squiggly lines in the ice...

It took me about as long as it took to type this sentence to think of why:idea:. But I wanted to share the idea and ask if anyone knows for sure.

:read:Hypothesis: The Ice does not melt uniformly so it causes the salt crystal to "fall" in some direction other than straight down. The melting ice dissolves some of the salt. The salt doesn't dissolve uniformly so it changes shape. This changes how the ice melts, thus changing the direction of the "flow". And that's how you get squiggly lines in the ice.:freak:

cool huh?:bigeek::lol:

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Any idea what salt they use for the roads/sidewalks? Calcium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride or Potassium Chloride? I am hunting a source for CaCl and MgCl. Not much need for them in Flawreeduh.

·
CntntEdtr for Aquarist.Me
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea what salt they use for the roads/sidewalks? Calcium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride or Potassium Chloride? I am hunting a source for CaCl and MgCl. Not much need for them in Flawreeduh.
most will say on the package... usually its a mixture of two or more of those you listen, however rarely is it a mix of more than three... I dont recall seeing potassium cl listed on any bags Ive used.

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
Amazon should have everything your'e looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts