The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a small (1.5") valentini puffer in my 24 cube for about 6 months now and he's one of my favorite fish. Tonight when I fed the tank I noticed he didn't come out to eat. I found him laying on the substrate next to a rock. I can't see one side of him but his eyes look fine and I don't/haven't seen any ich or velvet spots on him. Until today he was eating well although I have noticed that he's been getting thinner. I normally feed PE Mysis and sometimes ReefCrack. Tank params are as follows:
Ammonia-0
Ph-8.0
Nitrate-10
Nitrite-0
Temp 79-82

I've been googling sick valentini puffers trying to find some insight but I haven't been able to find much. I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas or things to look for. I don't want to lose this guy!
John

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you think my problem was that I wasn't feeding him a proper diet? I guess that would explain why he has gotten thinner. Where do you buy your clams and krill on half shells? Just at the local grocery store?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just checked again and "paddy" the puffer is gone. I'm really bummed now. I've lost 2 of my favorite fish in the last 2 weeks. The other one jumped out of my big tank. I guess this is a tough lesson learned. Is frozen Krill ok to feed them for future reference?

·
Administrator
18,788 Posts
I am very sad to hear that...they are wonderful animals and I love them very much. I've kept many species of puffer, from fresh, brackish and marine species and each and every one wins my heart. Sorry to hear about the loss.

I do think diet was a major issue for your little guy. The krill can be purchased freeze dried at PetCo or PetSmart. I like to use Hikari brand, it's so fresh it actually smells good to me. My dogs know when I open it and come eat one for a snack, they love them.

There are two reasons to use the clams on the half shell, the first is the meat is a large part of their nutrition the second is that the half shell rubs against their teeth and keeps them worn down to proper size. This can be a bit more difficult to find depending on where you live and you may end up getting them from the Internet. If you have a CostCo in your area and are a member they usually have fresh clams (cockles) and muscles on the weekend. These would be okay to use as they are alive when you buy them and have no preservatives at all. They can also be frozen and thawed when you need them. They cost much less than what you buy in the fish store.

Again, sorry about the loss.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tcamos. I actually just bought some frozen krill from petco yesterday. We do have a costco in the area. I will definately have another puffer or two. My wife LOVES the puffers and wants to have a puffer tank lol. Are there any different kinds of puffers that can be housed in a large tank together? I am planning on setting up an aggressive tank at some point that'll be much bigger than my current 60 gal cube upgrade (the 24 gal will become a seahorse tank).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts