The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i built my new sump and its nothing but problems. just finished cleaning my floor because of a huge flood.

i know this is crazy but i want to go sumpless get a dual bac pak and convert my other skimmer to hang on.

got a 120 gal lps and softies i know its not the best idea but its better that what i have now.

is there any big problems i might have.

no chiller no reactor just a skimmer in the sump now.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Every time I have had a flood from my sump it has been my fault. I hate having a sumpless system but if thats what works for you.

·
11,345 Posts
Dont get down Kid. Sometimes we have to pick our battles as far as the DIY stuff. You arent going to be happy in the very near future if you DONT do a sump.

SO, with that being said. Let that floor dry, sit back, breathe a little and either go buy a premade sump, or allow us to teach you how to make a simple sump out of your sump now, but dont try to get creative with your first sump. I did it too, but i learned that you cant be creative with something that you dont understand. You need to pick a sump design from one of us, and follow it to a T. THEN, once you have that in place operational for a while and understand WHY its shaped like it is, you can THEN custom make one that exactly suits your needs and is YOUR design.

Dont get discouraged. Youre at the questions not statements point in this game. Ive been watching your threads, and that concept has been escaping you a little. Were ALL here for you and we can succeed at ths thing together. I promise. :thumbup:

When youre ready, scrape all of that silicone out and remove your glass panels, and we can start over. You will be REALLY happy that it WASNT acrylic and weldon. I wasnt so fortunate with the first sump i built and my ignorant creativity. :clown: I had to pretty much scrap mine becasue once you weld on acrylic, you dont get DO-OVERS.:arg:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I cant tell you how many times I've felt the same way. Then a day or two later I'm back on the horse going at it again. Give yourself a break and you might feel diffrently in a few days.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
What do you maen water level? In the sump or in the tank? If the water level in the sump is low and tank high that could mean you are over return pumping or the overflow is not handling as much as it should in your system/ sump configuration. If the sump is too high, you need a strnger return pump.

I use a U tube overflow box. Water changes are a breeze and I stop the return pump, let everything stop draining, and the u tube keeps its siphon automaticly. I drain the sump, sponge it down, fill er up, turnon the pump. takes 20 min.

If its the overflow thats causing prblems, I reccommend drilling, and installing an internal overflow or getting a WELL DESIGNED U tube overflow.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cant install a box in a tank thats already running system i have been running my tank for a year now ad see no advantage to the sump except easy water changes and a placce to hide my skimmer i think i would be ok with a coral life supper skimmer hang on and a magnum hang on to run carbon. i can setup my top off system to the main tank.

its not that i hate sumps but for this tank i think a sumpless is good really quiet no worrys about flooding and not alot of noise. this is my parents house so i dont want to drill holes inthe wall to make a sump room.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts