The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to saltwater. I have a nano tank of 10 gallons about 12/13 pounds of live rock, a little caleurpa. 3 turbo snails, 3 bumblebee snails, 2 tiny blue legged hermit crabs, 1 peppermint shrimp and 1 yellow watchman goby. My tank cycled for a month and all of the water seemed fine. I added the goby about a week ago and although I saw him eat once, I haven't seen him much since.

I have been putting about 1/4 of mysis cube in the morning and in th night. I can see where he hides but he never comes out. For the last couple of days, when I feed, I turn off the filter and directwith an eyedropper the frozen mysis toward his hidey-hole. today he came out but he looks thin. I pointed the mysis right at him but he didn't eat a thing. I think he is a goner but is there anything I can do? thanks! - Sonya

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well... sounds like you have done every thing right. Keep trying to feed him, but dont foul your water. Have you been doing regular water changes with R/O water? Try soaking mysis, flake, brine, or what ever you try to feed him with garlic. Garlic is supposed to stimulate their appetite. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Your goby is probably not sick. I have a watchman goby as well, (the rare prawn goby,,,,,, a good 50.00) anyway, he hides most of the day and I only see him come out maybe a few times per week. Take the shrimp and just squirt it into the mid to top section of the water. Some gobies wont eat food once its touched or settled on the bottom. You may think they eat on the bottom, but they will swim towards the surface to get food. Try that and maybe try another food like bits of krill , even nor, my goy will actually nip at nori. Try these things and if they dont work after a few days, let us now cause then you got a problem on ur hands.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
please remember to remove all uneaten food after about 5 minutes or you could experience an ammonia/ nitrate increase. Also check the animal for signs of disesase such as black or white spotts of any other defornalities. Remember-

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Live Mysis or Brine Shrimp feed with Cyclopize for the nutisional value?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello all, bad news, sunny died. :-( So sad, I really, really liked the little guy. Wish I knew what the problem was. Yes, I have a live sand base and I was told he was eating although I didn't see it myself. Thanks for all your suggestions. - Sonyawp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts