The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a purple tang that is about 5 inches, has always eaten great and is still eating great but over the last couple of days he has been getting white spots and getting a little pale, what is happening to him and what should I do about it. I have heard that the white dots are bacteria and that a freshwater dip would solve the problem, is this true? How long should I dip him? Anything else it could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Can you post some pics of him? It's too hard to tell you what to do without seeing his symptoms...White spots like ick? Is he flashing/scraping himself on things? Freshwater dips will NOT cure bacterial diseases.. It will HELP in the case of ick or flukes but will not cure the fish.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Treat him with what? I have never had this happen before and have only been into the hobby for a little less than a year. I will take some pics and try and get them posted tonight.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Sure fire way to treat for Ich is in a hospital tank and treat with copper, cupramine seems to work the best IME. Let the main tank sit without any fish in it for 6 weeks this will give the ich enough time to go through at least two life cycles and die out from no hosts. After the fish have been treated for six weeks and the tank has been fishless for that time you will be ich free unless you reintroduce it. Freshwater dips are hit and miss as they are finding that certain types of ICH have become immune to them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I am going to try the freshwater dip and see if there is any improvement, if not, Dale, dsanders in this forum, has recomended and offered a tablet treatment for use in a quarentine tank that acts an antibiotic if that is what you are refering to mtfatwork, i forgot the name of the treatment. I will get some pics posted tomorrow, i would really hate to lose him.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Maybe try some garlic. I gave my blue tang a freshwater dip and then treated with garlic in his food or on the seaweed. he is doing great ever since. Also make sure when doing a freshwater dip that the PH is the same in the freshwater. You dont want to lose your fish because of that.Goodluck!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts