The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 3" coral beauty yesterday from my lfs. He is SO beautiful but won't come out from behind the rock work. I would, of course, expect this sort of behavior, but not after 24 hours. Plus, he's the biggest fish in the tank. Am I not being patient enough or should I start to be concerned? He hasn't eaten yet, but I'm not too concerned about that (yet). Here is what I have in my 46g bowfront besides him:

Fish
3 green chromis (1")
1 tank-raised clown (2")
Coral
3 branches of xenia
1 zoo frag
1 rock of green star polyp
4 mushroom polyps
Other
1 flame scallop
4 hermits
2 ceriths
2 astrea
1 peppermint shrimp
Water Parameters
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate/ite: 0
Phosphates: .5
pH: 8.1
Temp: 79
Salinity: 1.025

Any ideas on how to coax him out? He just swims around back and forth behind the rocks and in and out of caves. Are they known to be shy? His colors look fine and he doesn't look sick. He just doesn't come out, even when the lights are off.

Thanks,

Brandon

·
Registered
307 Posts
are you creating alot of movement in front of the tank (with you moving back-n-forth) ???

is there alot of walking going on in front of the tank?

is there other lights on in the room casting shadows?

fish pickup on light-n-dark movements in front of the tank...even if the movement is only once every 5-10 minutes.

my guess is you're just going to have to let it ADJUST to its surroundings.

if things get DESPARATE in a few days....REPOST NEW MESSAGE

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i just bought a coral beauty the other day
they like alot of rock and caves. the more caves you have the more you will see him
mine darts in and out of the rocks, swims in the back and in the front of the tank, very active
i think what you are seeing is normal behavior
mine too has not eaten. doesnt even know what a flake is i dont think, he went for mysis shrimp, ate about two then decided he didnt like it
i offer nori everyday and he looks at it but wont touch it
hes picking off algae from the rocks and glass so hes getting something to eat, but if he doesnt accept flakes in a few more days im going to try live brine shrimp

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No shadows, no traffic because the tank has its own room, no movement other than myself who sits there for 20 minutes waiting for him to come out. But you're right, he does pick up on it because when I look around the sides and back of the tank and he sees me, he takes off into a cave.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've had the same Coral Beauty for 4 years now and he still does not come out in the open other than for feeding. He is constantly darting behind rocks and anenomes. I think they are just a shy fish by nature. Dunno???

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
A fish staying in hiding after 24 hours in a new tank is nothing to worry about, imho. Each fish is different...give it a few weeks and see what happens. :)

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Sounds normal to me, too. They are very shy, very pretty though.

HHC

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. He is doing a lot better now. Still shy, but at least he shows his face. His swims through the caves all the time so you see him for about 2 seconds and then he darts back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts