The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a piece of lr with purple mushroom button polyps on it that are starting to bleach out. i see a bunch of amphipods crawling on it and parts of the mushroom stems look like theyre detatching a bit from the rock. could the bugs be causing the bleaching?

·
Administrator
18,789 Posts
Sounds like button polyps, also known as palys. Mushrooms are short and have a larger disk, without the fringe of tentacles.

Probably just need some time to adjust to being in a new tank.
Just to be on the safe side, check your water parameters and make sure they are in range.

Also, like I mentioned above, they can benefit from being moved slowly into the light.

If you could take a photo, that would be helpful since it would allow us to see what kind of condition they are in of if there is any damage.

How old is the tank, what kind of light do you have on it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a 20g with t5 lighting and ive had it running for 3 months these polyps have been with me for the whole 3 months. no real changes in the tank lately. the center all the way out to the tenticles are still a pinky purple, but the tenticles are all see through now, started this morning. i will get a pic up tonight. thank you for your help!

·
Administrator
18,789 Posts
That's still within range.
If they are on a rock you can lift out, take them out and examine them and see if there are any nudibranchs or other life forms on them.
Button polyps (palythoa) are pretty hardy corals so there are really only a few things I can think of.

1. Water (you said it's fine)
2. Too much or too little light
3. Some other coral is too close and irritating it
4. Some pest is bothering it
5. It was damaged in transit somehow

Maybe someone else can think of something I am forgetting.

·
Registered
308 Posts
ditto.. because they are so hardy, I would think the water, bad placement, or a pest...pull it out and check it. The water peram's are reading fine, but what type of water did you use?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i use premixed saltwater from the lfs, and top off with ro from walmart. i did move him from the top of my rocks to the sand, and gave him some food. he looks like hes gaining a bit of his color back. thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
18,789 Posts
I never have either, but when softies are malnutritioned from the lighting source they must get some extra food from somewhere.
True, but most of them don't require much of a light source. My 29 gallon BioCube has 100 watts total, and that's compacts not T5 and I kept them 4 years in that tank before I moved them out to the larger tank. They grew robustly and if they fed it was just what they caught themselves.

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
True, but most of them don't require much of a light source. My 29 gallon BioCube has 100 watts total, and that's compacts not T5 and I kept them 4 years in that tank before I moved them out to the larger tank. They grew robustly and if they fed it was just what they caught themselves.
Good point, if they catch food by themselves thats an added bonus.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts