The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm terrified of a flood, that's the biggest reason I haven't done it. I am in the process of cleaning up after emptying out my 20g, so wouldn't that be a perfect sump for a 38g?
The 38g is not drilled, and I'm not going to empty it and take the chance of breaking it, that's not worth it to me. So I'd have to get a HOB overflow... ok, :confused: that's me. I'd go get one off of ebay... can someone recommend a good one that won't flood my house and won't cost much at all? Is that possible... :rolleyes:

I'm really dense when it comes to this, sorry, but I'm a worry wart and wish someone would just come over and do it for me! I don't know how to plumb it, I don't know the first thing about those pumps, etc...

frustrating, aren't I? I don't suppose anyone has pics of their setup, step by step on how to do this?
Thanks for reading my rambling!

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
meh, possibly, I really don't know anyone that well... the one guy, Mako56, he's all of an hour away...

Oh, I don't understand the gph, what I'd want for my tank? I'm looking on ebay, some are 300 gph, some are 1200! Wet/dry... oh I don't even know why I'm looking at this point.

·
11,345 Posts
that would be a perfect sump and i dont see any reason why you would have to drill it, just throw a mag 5 or 7 in there depending on how much flow you want and if you want to run any simple canister filters or chillers or????......im going to go take some pics that will help

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
11,345 Posts
ok, here is sump simplicity

you need this...POSSIBLY the one smaller but i am more comfortable with the 1" drain, much less likely to have a snail or debris plug it and go onto the ground
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CR1511
and a mag 3 or 5 if you had anything else you wanted to run like a phosban reactor(i run carbon with them) or a chiller or??

to be honest, the overflow smaller than the one i gave you a link to drilled out to hold a 1" bulkhead is ideal......but thats making it more complicated

all the sump in the picture is is a box with three baffles in it. water drains from the overflow into the right side of the sump...then throuogh the baffles (the water travels over/under/over through the baffles) and then to the return area. in the return area there is a mag pump which pumps up to a T which then goes to two returns on each side of the tank...on the returns there is a valve and a union before they go into the tank...allows for disassembly and control of water flow hopefully from the pic of the back you can tell whats going on...hard to take along the wall

what kind of skimmer.........that is one thing that needs to be taken into consideration as far as how big you make your drain and return areas

make sense???

what kind of skimmer do you have???

Attachments

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my skimmer is for up to 65 gallons. I currently have two hob whisper filters, it's a seahorse tank so I need fairly low flow. If I were to install a sump could I take those filters off and begin using the skimmer via the sump instead? Baffles, ok, we actually have some glass in the basement and I'm sure I could find someone to cut it. Do I just need to silicone it in certain places, and how big does the glass need to be.

Can any critters be put into the sump, like blue hermits or??? hehe, I should hold a reef meeting/sump building party one of these months! I'm sure one of my club members would have one of those mag pumps, and I'm sure they'd love to set it up. haha, I may do that!

·
11,345 Posts
skimmer in sump....DEFINITELY, with your needs that is basically the only thing to take into consideration when placing the baffles......you need to make the overflow drain area big enough to accomodate your skimmer too. I dont know how that skimmer you have works.....there may be some more considerations as far as water level to make your skimmer operate right that need to be done in the sump.....an auto top off system can make this a non issue. Since your going all glass and silicone i would cut the glass baffles 1/8 of inch short of your inner measurement. Measure top and bottom ov EVERY place you are putting a baffle, this is probably more important on acrylic than glass but better safe than sorry.

A local auto glass shop will be able to cut the glass for you for a few bucks usually....OR if you or someone you know has a tile saw..that will work fine in a pinch.....WEAR SAFETY GLASSES becaue the chips will fly.

-one more thing...depending on how many bubble exit your skimmer a 4th baffle will guarantee the microbubbles gone......so the water path after the drain/skimmer area will be under/over/under/over

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, I just drew this up in paint... this is how I am picturing it, am I close? I still don't fully understand the baffles... are they solid plates of glass the height and width of the tank, or are they supposed to be a few inches shorter so the water can go over each one in the tank? Are they supposed to be as tall as the water level in the sump so that they kinda overflow over each pane, or am I going off on the wrong track?
Thanks so much for your help!!!

Attachments

·
11,345 Posts
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Check thi ssite out and then look at my pic...i think you will then understand the baffle thing

also here is a pic of a 100 gallon sump i just built. This was the first sump i built from scratch. I have made 4 others but started with tanks. This one isnt quite done but it has all of the components you will be needing. This one is a left to right flowing though, skimmer on the left and an external return pump on the right...ignore the korallin...its just sitting there.

As far as the choice of mag pump you use you could go for anything from a 3 to a 9.5. If you wanted to run a simple canister filter for whatever media and a small chiller a 9.5 would be perfect but just for return alone i would think a 5. We really need to know how you are moving water in the tank, and how much of that water motion is going to be from this sump via power heads in the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Here is a simple sump very easy to make. the bafles are 1.5 inches apart. this is made from a 38 gallon tank your 20 gallon should work fine. I added my skimmer to the left and some cheato to the center I used a mag 18. A mag 7 should be about right for you.

40g sump.jpg

sump l.jpg

sump r.jpg

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
baffles can have two main purposes.

1) to segregate different areas.

2) to act like bubble traps. this is when you will see more than 1 baffle right next to each other. in this case you would have the water go under the first than over the second.

you need to make sure the baffles that have water flowing over them are not so tall that when you have a power outage you do not overflow the sump.

G~

·
11,345 Posts
The over under over or vice verse really depends on how your skimmer releases its water. If it dumps in, like my mr-2, i pipe the skimmer drain down to the bottom of the sump and go over under over...if your skimmer releases its bubbles at the waters surface then, under/over/under is best. I have actually heard a bunch of different viewpoints on this one but that is what has proven correct for me. Of the 3 tanks i have running at the moment i use both configs.

Not having an outo top oiff is ANOTHER reason and thing to keep in mind when you decide the height of your baffles. You dont want it to be so high that you have to add water when in fact the pump could still draw airfree water for days.......

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was reading another post about a sump and I'm a little confused about the return pump keeping up to the skimmer? I don't get that... does it mean so that the return doesn't pump more water out than the skimmer can keep up putting back into the sump? My skimmer dumps at the surface, and when I had it on the 20g I had a sponge filter pushed onto the end of the return cuz that bubble trap box was just a pita. With the sump can I remove the sponge filter and just let it dump?

I am thinking more and more about asking if a club member would come over and help, I learn much better through hands on learning than book learning/reading. I do appreciate all of the information tho, I understand this a bit better.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if you are a bit concerned, than get another reefer to come over and take a peek.

if the skimmer is not going in the sump than the skimmer/return pump dance is not important.

if the skimmer is in the sump, than i like to have the return pump only pump as much water as the skimmer processes. generally speaking if the skimmer is powered by a Mag 7 than the skimmer is prolly only processing about 350gph. so i would not get a return pump that pumps much more than that.

G~

1 - 20 of 21 Posts