The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEWSPAPER TODAY HAD A CLASSIFIED THAT STATED THE FOLLOWING

live rock 125 POUNDS, live sand, fish ( only one clown left), corals (about 5 or 6 frags of green acropora, 3 frags finger leather, 3 colonies of candy cane coral) for $500. 125 pounds of live rock completely covered in coral line algae.

I HAVE A 110 GALLON NOT SET UP YET
WOULD U RECOMEND GETTING THE SAND??
IS THIS SOMETHING I WOULD BE A FOOL TO TURN DOWN??

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
i would use new sand. what is wrong with everything ?? why is there only "one clown LEFT" ??

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Never Thought Of That. I Guess I Should Ask About Flatworms To?
i would be more concerned with fish parasites if all the fish died. that add leaves a lot of questions to be answered. i would give him a call and ask all of those questions.

1) why only one clown LEFT ??
2) any parasites on the fish ??
3) flatworms ??
4) redbugs ??
5) why are you selling ??

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Ok Thats A Possibillity But No One Has Told Me Thier Opinion On Weather U Think I Should Take The Offer
if the answer to any of the above questions is YES ... i would leave EVERYTHING where it is.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Well if the rock is good, fish and corals healthy, you should be fine. Make sure you keep the rock covered with wet newspaper and you should be able to put it in your tank without much cycle at all. The price (IF THE ROCK ISNT PARASITE INFESTED OR COVERED IN OTHER NASTIES SUCH AS AIPTAISIA) is fairly decent. Here live rock runs about 8 bucks a lbs so the rock alone would be $1000, if I catch it on sale it would be about $650. Also check the condition of coral and fish. Am courious as to why he is selling everything but the tank, but it is possible he is just going freshwater and want's to use the tank. So to sum my longwinded post: if the stuff is good then yeah it's a good deal.
oh and definately get new sand. doesn't have to be live you can use dry playsand (argonite if you can find it) it's alot cheaper and the rock will seed the sand in no time.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
If he's getting 125lbs of LR and some LS he may not go through a cycle. If something goes wrong in the move though and stuff starts dieing off in/on the LR then he would be stuck with corals in a tank that is cycling. I guess your right, Patent. He should leave this for someone else.

Jena was posting at the same time as I posted this. She's right as well. I guess it all boils down to a gamble. If you can keep the rock alive and healthy through the move then go for it. If it is a long trip I would take some buckets or something and keep the rocks under water for the ride home. I guess its just a judgement call. If it were me and I wanted the stuff, I would get it. I'm not sure if its the right thing to do or not though.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
You risk problems all the time. I would add before you pick up the stuff, go ahead ahead and get your tank setup with sand and water and let it run a few days. That way if you get the rock, corals, and fish all you have to do is add everything. Even better would to see if a lfs could babysit the corals and fish for a week to make sure everything get's moved safely.

·
Administrator
46,877 Posts
Sounds like way too much for someones used rock, out of a tank you are not familiar with, sounds like trouble to me :(

·
double cappuccino
1,633 Posts
I would vote for a pass. But it is worth looking at, IF it is good try offering about 1/2 to 2/3 of his asking price - if he has no other offers he'll probably take it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow i called this guy and he avoided the question about pests on his live rock. he said everyone has organisms they dont want on their rock. he said that was a silly question. he is selling his livestock because he is moving and doesnt wish the livestock to die. no real valid reason why he is selling his rock.
he stated that i have to take the sand with the rock that its a package deal.
well i think i will pass dont want to start with problems
and even if it was a great deal dont insult the buyer on the phone
oh well

any one got rock 4 sell in the Tennesse area

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Well, from his perspective, he can probably take his fish back to the LFS and get some scratch. Not many LFS will take LR. Maybe the clown was one he couldn't catch?

Anyway, I think there is some rampant paranoia working today...at $500, its $4 / lb which is pretty good for raw LR, let alone cured.

Take away any reference to the "one left" and is this any worse than buying uncured LR at the LFS? Who knows what is in that rock?

Anyway, guy probably just wants to get rid of it all and doesn't want to part out the sand, LR, etc. He needs out.

The only remaining question for me is why are his acros still in there? Too small to sell to the LFS?

Anyway, you need the rock, he's got the rock, its a decent deal. I would talk about going over to take a look with the caveat that you are kind of picky. Maybe it looks great and he cuts you a deal because you are there.

Just my humble opinion....
WG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts