The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of you may know im having trouble with my red lip blenny hes terribly aggressive and he just killed a chromis
i cant catch him without tearing down my tank (hes faster than a speeding bullet)
so i had an idea, i know blennies dont get along with each other and being this one is small only 2" what if i added a large lawn mower blenny??
would the larger blenny take him out???
its drastic i know but it may work
the red lip has a royal gramma held prisoner in a cave he can barely get enough food to survive. i manage to float some food by the gramma but he only gets a flake or two a day. as soon as the blenny see's the gramma move from the cave he attacks and forces the gramma back in the hole
my chromis are living in fear and im afraid he may turn his aggression on my baby foxface soon

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I think that would be very drastic. I'm not sure you can predict exactly what will happen. I think your best bet will be to take out some rock and then catch the red lip.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Don't know and have never tried but could you rig a fish trap with a mirror? Just thinking, maybe something in the DIY section.:read:

·
Registered
557 Posts
wow, had a red lip that would go after my hand when i put nori in the tank.. if yours does this, you can go like putting nori on a clip, in there and when he goes for your hand, you can snatch him.
Really aggressive ones are typically easier to catch with bait. you may be able to do it, by sticking the nori in the net close to a corner, that you can easily grab him out when he goes for it. I got an agressive yellow tang out of 150 like that in no time.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the mirror trap idea sounds good

yes i am serious, there is no way im up to removing 95 lbs of rock!
even if i just remove the top rocks he will swim to the lower caves and still be impossible to catch
hes as thin as a pencil and can get into the smallest crevices
also in removing my rocks i will upset my other live stock, crabs etc

·
Registered
557 Posts
on another note, how much room does he have?? the one i had wouldn't dare go after another fish.. the a. Japonicus had his number.

·
Registered
557 Posts
pastina said:
the mirror trap idea sounds good

yes i am serious, there is no way im up to removing 95 lbs of rock!
even if i just remove the top rocks he will swim to the lower caves and still be impossible to catch
hes as thin as a pencil and can get into the smallest crevices
also in removing my rocks i will upset my other live stock, crabs etc
I ended up getting a nice peice of rock from a fellow reefer, when i got his starry blenny. the blenny went in a hole and wedged himself in. Woudn't come out for nothing. heck, he refused to come out till he was in another tank, had to acclimate in a bowl because he wouldnt' come out the rock.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
motorslave said:
That is pretty drastic. I would use every other possibility. Patience is much better than setting out to kill a fish.

Robert
true..but gotta remember hes taking out my other fish
it is an crazy idea, i wont do it, just wish i knew what fish i can add with him now. and he is so freakin cute that i prob wouldnt be able to go through with it anyway
once he kills off the remaining chromis ill be left with a much larger goby which he wont go after due to the size difference, and my foxface which i really have gotten attached to.
the tank is 55 gallons
ive been feeding the foxface like crazy trying to get him to grow faster so he can be bigger than the blenny just "in case" the blenny decides to turn on him.
do foxface's grow quickly?

i figure i can add damsels with this aggessive blenny, that should work, but then im back to what if my foxface gets beat up by the damsels?

any suggestions on tankmates? that can handle the blenny and wont hurt my 2" baby foxface

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok ill try lol
i should film me trying lol... me against super blenny :funny:

is there a trick with the net that may work? 2 nets or something?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
use the trap. also, if you know he is in a specific rock, try taking that rock out and cutting the blenny out of that rock with chisel and hammer. then get him in ur hand ,bag em or do what ever you want with him.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
yup, keep ur net still. Go to a arch of rock, put one large net on the one side of the arch so nothing can pass through. Get a non sharp stick and kinda chase him around and poke him out of crevices until you can force him into the net with ur had or the stick. Very gently!!!

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Yes, two nets have always worked better than one for me. I also get a stool so I am somewhat higher than the tank, too. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
557 Posts
just stick some of his favorite food in the net, hold by the side, he'll give in.
Just be patient, don't try to snag him till he's right by the net.

·
Registered
557 Posts
just stick some of his favorite food in the net, hold by the side, he'll give in.
Just be patient, don't try to snag him till he's right by the net. or

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just be patient, don't try to snag him till he's right by the net. or by the fish trap

1 - 20 of 70 Posts