The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well so far i have 1 turbo snail, 10 nassarrius snails, and 3 little red leg hermits.........but as you can see a have brown alage out the ******. this is the big turbo i have who seems to do the most work .........should i get maybe 5 total?

·
Registered
393 Posts
My nassarius snails never eat algae and seem more focussed on picking up pieces of food that fall to the sand.

I would get a couple more algae eating snails. How long has your tank been up and running? It looks like that's diatoms or cyano which will usually clear up on it's own after a while.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Waterchanges :)

Actually Narcissus snails are good for keeping the sand clean best thing for the diatoms are water changes and maintenance at this point

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
do not get any more snails for now. you are in the middle of the diatom bloom. this will go away almost overnight in a few weeks. if you get a bunch of snails they will just die when their food source goes away. this is that whole sit on your hands thing and not put anything in the tank for at least a month thing. ;)

G~

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
cerith snails are pretty good little guys, to small to really knock anything down, and they do a good job cleaning glass, not reccomended for keep algae in check, but they make a good addition to a clean up crew. IMO

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Geoff said:
do not get any more snails for now. you are in the middle of the diatom bloom. this will go away almost overnight in a few weeks. if you get a bunch of snails they will just die when their food source goes away. this is that whole sit on your hands thing and not put anything in the tank for at least a month thing. ;)

G~
I agree with Geoff here, just the early stages of Your tank, will go away soon

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Turbos do a great job. Get some that are not so big and they are less likely to move things around. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have heard that when you have cyano dont do a water change until the bateria has died off. anybody? I also say no more snails let the bloom run it's course.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
fchidsey said:
I have heard that when you have cyano dont do a water change until the bateria has died off. anybody? I also say no more snails let the bloom run it's course.
Cyano is a different story than Diatoms
From what I understand when Cyano dies off it releases the nutrients back into the tank I was told to siphon off as much cyano as possible when it was at it's thickest to remove the nutrients
Hopefully Geoff or one of the others can explain this better then me.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
cyano is a bacteria. it reproduces and dies very quickly. when it dies it does release all of its bound nutrients back into the water column. this is now available for other cyano's to use. this is why it is best to siphon it out when it is at its peak at the end of the day. you will be removing the greatest amount of it.

G~

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my 10,000k just went on at 10 and there is hardly any here.........so i dont know if my hermits and nassarrius snails eat it all or what............because they are all on top of where most of it used to be

1 - 15 of 15 Posts