The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at the ctars page on Rc and someone has a 4ft 150 for sale 48×24×31 tank and stand for 160. Tank isnt drilled but I can do that. My current reef breeders photon 48 should handle the tank may add t5ho to accent. The only thing that im not sure of is my skimmer could be a bit bigger nwb 150. I probably have 100lbs of live rock so wouldnt need much more but would add some. I need some more room but the thought of buying new equipment sounds like a bad idea. Skimmer light are 2 to 3 months old. Ill add another jaebo wp25. My mag 9.5 can stay

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im trying to get mine pre sold which I may have already done. So I get to sell my 75 tank stand all plumbing complete for the price of the 150. So I just doubled the tank size for the price to drill it and plumb it

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
That's a great size for a tank, the 24" depth is very nice to aqua scale and it's not so tall you'll get nose bleeds
4ft 150s are 24" front to back, and 31" tall. Have the same footprint as a 120 has. It doesn't take very long to get tired of trying to reach the bottom of a 31" tall tank.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4ft 150s are 24" front to back, and 31" tall. Have the same footprint as a 120 has. It doesn't take very long to get tired of trying to reach the bottom of a 31" tall tank.
Yea it would be 31 high which is tall but I do but I dont want a 6ft tank. It would be the same as a 110 but alittle higher I think. Nothing a step stool cant handle.It would be nice having a bigger tank and not really have to buy anything new

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Yea it would be 31 high which is tall but I do but I dont want a 6ft tank. It would be the same as a 110 but alittle higher I think. Nothing a step stool cant handle.It would be nice having a bigger tank and not really have to buy anything new
The height of the tank isn't the biggest issue. As you said you can simply get a foot stool to reach the top. The issue comes when you try to reach the bottom. The 110 High and the 150 are the same width and height, just different depth (front to back) and the "depth" dimension which can become confusing. Take your 75 and build fake wall extensions on the top of the tank to make the sides 32" tall. It doesn't take long to see what a pain it can become to work on the bottom :bawling:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I only have room for a four foot tank. I went with the 120 instead of the 150. I'm short and can barely reach the bottom. the extra height really doesn't do much. it's the same surface area.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is my issue. Its taken me some time to get to the equipment that I have for my tank about a year and a half. So for me to go buy new stuff for a 6 ft tank seems like a waste of the money ive spent so far. I started with t5ho a hob skimmer a standard 75. Then went to a 75 rr with a 40 sump which I built the new stand. Then slowly added the led the octopus skimmer all this since july of 2012. I could go 6ft and add a small reef breeders like a 24 next to my 48 but the price difference is so small almost not worth the price. I paid 500 for mine I bet the 24 is 350 still. I have all the same as the 24 just more leds

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I like the 48" tanks as well, but do see the issue with the height too, I know that's the reason I crossed a 90 off my list, so I'll end up going 75 or 120 because the extra height without extra depth of a 90 isn't worth it to me... but it just depends on what you want.. if you can reach the bottom OK then go for it.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I like the 48" tanks as well, but do see the issue with the height too, I know that's the reason I crossed a 90 off my list, so I'll end up going 75 or 120 because the extra height without extra depth of a 90 isn't worth it to me... but it just depends on what you want.. if you can reach the bottom OK then go for it.
The 75 and 90 have the same footprint/stand size. The 120 is larger from front to back but the same height as the 90. So, if you cross off the 90 because of the height then you should also cross off the 120 because its the same height.

Gallons L X W X H
75 Gal 48 x 18 x 21 Tall
90 Gal 48 x 18 x 25 Tall
120 Gal 48 x 24 x 25 Tall

They make a 75 Tall that is only 36" wide, a 90 that is 72" and called a 90 Long, and a 120 Cube that is 30" wide. I stayed with the 48" width because you said you liked the 48" tanks. But, with those three 3 tank sizes the 48" width is the generally assumed sizes unless stated otherwise.

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=2

Or, were you referring to one of the long/short/tall tanks with short or longer widths?

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
The 75 and 90 have the same footprint/stand size. The 120 is larger from front to back but the same height as the 90. So, if you cross off the 90 because of the height then you should also cross off the 120 because its the same height.

Gallons L X W X H
75 Gal 48 x 18 x 21 Tall
90 Gal 48 x 18 x 25 Tall
120 Gal 48 x 24 x 25 Tall
note that I said the added height without the added depth... if you get extra depth then I don't mind the extra height.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im not sure what the guy who is selling it is up to. He was suposed to get back to me about the back being tempered or not which I doubt. Its not drilled so if it cant be I dont want it. I really dont want a hob overflow

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
Im not sure what the guy who is selling it is up to. He was suposed to get back to me about the back being tempered or not which I doubt. Its not drilled so if it cant be I dont want it. I really dont want a hob overflow

I could be wrong... and obviously depends on the manufacturer, but I think only the bottom is tempered on 120s.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I was supposed to go pick up the tank on the 27th. That morning I got the phone call that my father had passed away. I sent the tank owner a text letting him know I wasnt gonna make it and told him what was going on. He told me to call him when everything settled down. I called him when I got back Wednesday he still had the tank. I figured at that price if he still has it it was ment to be or junk. Told him I would be up monday which is tomorrow that was friday night. I just called to confirm I was coming and he said someone else just came and got it. I was pretty pissed but I guess money talks. On the hunt for another tank

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got one yesterday and I am amped about it , still have to build the stand for it. I would just make sure to run a filter sock on your input to your sump and adjust your skimmer. If you find you need a bigger skimmer just watch craigslist. I found my asm g3 for 100 bucks and it's a beast. I love finding the people getting out who just want whatever they can get right now. Buying new Imo is a waste of money just because eventually we all want to upgrade

1 - 20 of 27 Posts