The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I have a 125 gallon tank. been established for 3+years. I have 2 tangs 1 yellow and 1 sail fin, 2 percula clowns, a pink spotted goby, coral beury and little chromis. I was thinking to add a lionfish. I have always wanted one, what do you think?

·
Registered
363 Posts
What species of Lionfish? I have a Fuzzy Dwarf that will shortly be going in my 125.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Like Tim said, anything that fits in their mouth becomes food, so most or all of the fishes you listed may get eaten, depending on what type of Lionfish. You'd be surprised just how much they can eat, I saw mine eat a shrimp that was about 2/3 the length of the lion in one gulp.

Related to that, Lions also produce a lot of waste, so you will also need to invest in a good sized skimmer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you want to be truly safe you shouldnt have any fish in the tank of a lesser size than the lion, because his eyes are sometimes bigger than his stomach:funny: ...and keep in mind he will grow.(depending ofcourse on the type of lion fish).

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay the fish I am mostly concerned about is my clowns and blenny and goby, goby is 4", bleeny 4", clown, 3" and other around 3-4". soooo.. can I have a lion is so what species?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I would not.

·
Registered
363 Posts
AdamG said:
okay the fish I am mostly concerned about is my clowns and blenny and goby, goby is 4", bleeny 4", clown, 3" and other around 3-4". soooo.. can I have a lion is so what species?
You could probably get a Fu Manchu Lion, they only get to around 4 inches. However they are hard to feed in captivity.....
With all the other Lions, those fish would be lunch once the lion is full grown(if a dwarf species) or sooner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts