The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way to cut or shorten bulkheads and not completely ruin the thread pattern? I am drilling the back of a 29 for external durso standpipes, but the bulkheads stick through so far. I really don't want the pipes sticking out 6" off the glass, but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Or is there a place to buy 1" sch 40 bulkheads that are short? I found some 1.50" at :

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/6920

But I can't find 1"

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
A table saw would probably cut it cleanly enough, but you'd need a plastics blade. I'd get a couple extra bulkheads though, in case you need a practice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I managed to use a hack saw to shorten mine. I used a piece of masking tape to help keep things square, also run the tighting ring all the way up so you can unscrew it to clean up the threads.

·
Registered
480 Posts
is there a way to cut or shorten bulkheads and not completely ruin the thread pattern? I am drilling the back of a 29 for external durso standpipes, but the bulkheads stick through so far. I really don't want the pipes sticking out 6" off the glass, but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Or is there a place to buy 1" sch 40 bulkheads that are short? I found some 1.50" at :

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/6920

But I can't find 1"
If your bulkheads are threaded inside like the one from your link, shorting it may not leave you enough threads to keep it from leaking.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
harman: what do you mean? I have used the ones in that picturein the past with no problem. How would shortening make it leak?

·
11,345 Posts
harman: what do you mean? I have used the ones in that picturein the past with no problem. How would shortening make it leak?
If you reduce the amount of threads the less contact you have between the two fitting to make a seal. You surely want to make sure you leave two good turns worth into the socket, and use silicone instead of plumbers tape. I use silicone instead of plumbers tape anyway on threaded fittings so i can thread it in only as far as i want instead of how far it would require for plumbrers tape to make the seal

You could probably get away with less than full two turns, but only if you really knew how to plumb with a relaxed fit.

You can buy shallow bulkheads as well designed to take up less space.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
honestly, any good saw will work, just make sure to combine the advice so far:

screw the collar on so when you are done you can unscrew it to clean the threads

use masking tape to keep the cut square

leave enough thread so it still sticks out a few turns beyond the collar when it is tight

·
11,345 Posts
Not if I was doing it. Yeesh! You should see me with a hack saw, it's terrifying. Yes, I have a patience problem, but that's irrelevant.
Im a hacksaw hack too. I hate them. I dont even cut pvc with a hacksaw. Tablesaw or skilsaw all the way. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts