The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out with choosing a group of shoaling fish for my 6 foot fish only tank. current tank mates are:
Power blue & scopas tang; dogface puffer; yellow-tailed damsel; clown; fairy wrasse; blue face angel; blenny; longnose butterfly; pj cardinal; fire gobby; gold head sleeper gobby; falco hawkfish.
My current damsel killed 3 of his yellow-tailed friends, so i'd say he's quite an aggressive little fellow with his own kind and others.
any idea's??

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I think you are close to the limit of what a 6 foot tank can handle, fishwise. That's just me, though...I am kinda conservative on this issue. :)

Got any pics? :D

·
Retired Wanderer
17,270 Posts
That is sort of a lot of fish. I think the wOOOTMAAAAn might be correct.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
sorry guys, devils advocate, it all depends on the rest of your tank dimensions, I have a six foot tank with 22 fish in it and it is doing excellent. Steve Weast has a six foot tank with close to 60 fish in it, however the tanks are 225 and 800 gallons;)

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
not necessarily, my chromis all kind of go their seperate ways but always come together for a few minutes for a "meeting" besides I think it looks cool to have more than a couple of the same fish in a tank, looks more natural IMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
some good ideas, thanx. my tank holds 600 litres - not sure what that is in gallons? all of my fish are reasonably small (except for puffer) so it looks quite bare. should i not add any more?? if i did put in some anthias will i still have to remove my damsel? any suggestions on the type of anthias and how many to get?

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
600 liters is 158.5 gallons. You are probably okay now while they are small(ish), but when they get to full size you might run into space issues.

Anthias are somewhat hard to keep and might not get along with all of your tankmates. Hopefully others will speak to this. :)

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Btw, I am not trying to poo poo your ideas...I'm just trying to save you potential (or at least what I think is potential) problems later on. :)

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I agree with Chris. Be wary of the future space issues. Crowding can lead to increased aggressiveness and problems. Not to mention as they get bigger so will the poop! Keep the future in sight as far as what kind of skimmer you have now and filtration so you can avoid other issues.
Anthias are my favorite fish next to The Wrasses. Ive had a few and they are very docile and easy going. never saw any take an aggressive stance. But that doesn't mean they wont.

Robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts