The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geoff said:
you are not putting pure O2 in the bag. pure O2 is controlled very closely. it is extremely explosive, not something mere mortals should be playing with. what you think is O2 is just compressed air. with zoas very little water is needed and just regular air is plenty. having CO2 in the bag is actually helpfull. it keeps the toxicity of ammonia down to a managable level to the critters. if the water pH did not drop than nothing would survive the shipping.

G~
I am starting this thread to learn and dispell the major conceptions and misconceptions about what is the best way to ship different corals. I have been successful overall on all types of corals, but after reading this, and trusting MOST everything that comes out of geoffs mouth, i dont think i have a clue. :rolleyes:

Today i realized more than ever that many people here who DO ship corals often, and are mostly successful at it have VERY different ideas about the hows and whys. I think it would do everybody some good to talk about it as well as possibly save a critter or two.

By the time this thread is done i want to have talked about how we should ship the majority of common corals that get passed back and forth every day.

Ill start first

The way you should do it is this:

????

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
i belive that corals are alot tuffer than we give them credit for. we like to baby our corals give them near perfect flow conditions alot of light. fish that dont eat them and constant food. in the wild this is not always the case. so they are pretty tuff. so shipping is just a rainy day.

but i am no expert just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Alot of the branching type of LPS's , I can't remember which ones , After awhile you don't pay attention to them, We get alot when we order. They tie them to syrofoam with rubber bands and place in bags only wet not filled with water, they said they ship better that way.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
VWD said:
Alot of the branching type of LPS's , I can't remember which ones , After awhile you don't pay attention to them, We get alot when we order. They tie them to syrofoam with rubber bands and place in bags only wet not filled with water, they said they ship better that way.
UH? They do what?

·
Administrator
46,695 Posts
Sorry Geoff, I have to disagree, Oxygen is not explosive, nor flammable but it will accereate any combustion it is in the presence of. Not sure about corals, but a lot of shops will squirt pure O2 into fish bags, we did it at the shop I hung out at all the time.
You are right about the pH drop and ammonia toxicity :)

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thekid55 said:
i belive that corals are alot tuffer than we give them credit for. we like to baby our corals give them near perfect flow conditions alot of light. fish that dont eat them and constant food. in the wild this is not always the case. so they are pretty tuff. so shipping is just a rainy day.

but i am no expert just my 2 cents
There are a lot of us who have been largely successful in shipping and i agree with you that corals are tougher than we think for the most part, but even so, with that being said, i am definitely not proud of the amount of corals that have died with me being either the shipper or the receiver, and if i can do it better, i would like to do so.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
this is true corals dieing from shipping does suck. but look at it this way.

you ship your corals because they have grown in your tank and you have more than you want. so you ship them to a kid that does not have this coral. because he got it from you ( you grew it out) it is aquacultured. now instead of him going to the LFS and getting coral that is collected he gets it for a cheaper price from you and it does not damage any reefs.

so yes the coral may die but it is for a better good in a way. but use talking about better ways to ship helps out alot.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thekid55 said:
this is true corals dieing from shipping does suck. but look at it this way.

you ship your corals because they have grown in your tank and you have more than you want. so you ship them to a kid that does not have this coral. because he got it from you ( you grew it out) it is aquacultured. now instead of him going to the LFS and getting coral that is collected he gets it for a cheaper price from you and it does not damage any reefs.

so yes the coral may die but it is for a better good in a way. but use talking about better ways to ship helps out alot.
uhhhh...........i dont know how to respond to that except..........i think it will be some time in the future when you and I or you and many people in this hobby can have a reasonable conversation about this hobby

although, your last statement made sense, AND your first statement in this post made more sense that your previous post altogether...SO we ARE making ground as we speak;)

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Fly Guy said:
uhhhh...........i dont know how to respond to that except..........i think it will be some time in the future when you and I or you and many people in this hobby can have a reasonable conversation about this hobby

although, your last statement made sense, AND your first statement in this post made more sense that your previous post...so we are making ground as we speak;)
dont know wat you were trying to say here either. but i hope you get the point of my last post.

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To answer the question "what is the best way to ship various corals with success in mind" this is what weve got so far.(im adding info from another thread today as well)

1. zoos- in water with air, just damp, and in water without air

2-euphyllia- in a moist bag without water AND must be shipped with water-oxygen was not discussed either way

3-sps not discussed

4. fish not discussed

5. Invertebrates not discussed

6. softies (besides zoos)not discussed

It has also been said that it doesnt really matter corals are tough as well as some statements concerning adding pure O2 or possibly co2 to help.

I for one would like to come to a little clearer conclusion on all of the above....i understand it is not going to be a 100% conclusive agreement but i think we can do a little better than what weve got so far.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Ok... Here is what i have seen work and what i have done or will do.

Fish - Bag with water (duh) and o2 is a must due to the resperation of the fish.

Inverts... Crabs and most mollusts will ship with a mat of wet paper towel and no water or o2 just air, shrimp and stars will ship with some water and air.

LPS - a small amount of water in a dark bag. air is fine.

Soft corals - water with air only in a dark bag

zoos, polyps and most shrooms- will do fine in a dark bag with minimal water. if shipping on a decent sized rock the ship without water, just place in a bag with some wet newspaper or paper towel over the rock. small frags do better in minimal water or an empty bag with a wet towel.

SPS - frags can just be dropped into a dark bag with a small amount of water and air. larger pieces should be banded to styrofoam and floated upsidedown in a dark bag of water.

Clams - wrap the clam in a bag and then place that in a dark bag of water with air.

The most important thing with most critters is to ship them in a bag that is dark. it will reduce stress wit fish and reduce resperation with corals and make for a much easier trip. to make a bag dark just bag the fish and then triple wrap the inside of a 2nd bag with newspaper and place the first bag in the second. make sure to bag 2-3 times to avoid leak issues.

that is my .02

·
Registered
372 Posts
But why is a dark bag necessary if it's dark inside the box? Or do you mean it's better for them dark once they are pulled out for acclimination? If so, can't we just turn the lights off during that period?

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
dark is better because you can have light leaks through cracks in the box and it makes it easier when you pull the bag out. plus they don't freak when your stuffing them all in the box with everything. you should have seen the poor sargassum with his face pressed up against the side of the bag trying to get the shrimp next door... and the shrimp next door trying to push himself out the other side of his bag...

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i know when i used to work in the welding industry, we could not get 100% O2. we needed special permits and hook ups. all of our normal oxygen tanks were nothing more than compressed air takes for welding. now this could be an industry thing, but i would think that if we needed permits everyone needed permits to be using the stuff. i am having a hard time finding any info on compressed oxygen bottles. which makes me think that there is more going on here than we know.

our corals are a lot tougher than we give them credit for. like has been said. zoas/shrooms shipped in wet paper with a bag full of air will be fine. most corals are used to being exposed to air for several hours under low tide conditions. this is very true of the zoas/shroom and most SPS. SPS are tough only because they are so rough. removing the paper is tough somtimes, and i find it rougher on the coral than if it was just left in a bag with a little water to keep it moist.

G~

1 - 20 of 28 Posts