The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shipping frags,,,??????'s

As Shirley and I are soon gonna be sending some frags to Cath n Tom(and others)Shirley brought up this question,,,,on gorg frags,if we do send them unmounted, should we still remove the "meat" off the stem for later mounting,of leave them as cut,,,
i'll (and mebbe Shirley ) will have time now to mount the gorgs,,,just wondering,,,:confused:
same thing with green star polyps,,,no prob with just sending them as fragged?
any other tips on prep b4 sending them?
the other stuff i have is a no brainer,,
Being that the shipment will be finally be bagged and shipped from Premium (thanks SO much Jason,Jeremy and crew!:beer: )
just want to make this shipment work well and and as ez as possible
we will be bringing frags (transported , not bagged(for shippment),to Premium , and they were nice enuf to bag and prep ,and ship for us,,
they will be using our tank water etc. for shipping also,,,
THANKS!

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ShirleyM said:
Is it ever possible to get yellow polyps safely off the main rock?
hmm, i would say , if you can get under a edge,,and get a razor blade/scalpel under it,,,,

i'm a lil bit luckier,,,i got enuf zoo's that spread, i'll prob just have to cut and separate some,,,,i hope:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^
and by the way:
anyone got good ideas on how to ship xenia?
dunno if they want it down there,,,but i have plenty,,,
might try it,,,or donate it to Premium,,,when i'm down there,or both,,,,,,,

·
Super Moderator
28,204 Posts
hehehe...when I was first starting out, Jeff, I bought (imagine that) xenia frags from PA. It came on a neat little piece of rock that looked like a Vienna Sausage, for heaven's sake.
And I'm not sure about how that was floating in the water, though I have seen frags rubber banded to styrofoam with the frag floating upside down in the water. Course, maybe I was the last person on TRT to see that method :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup Cath, i'v e seen a lot of stuff come in attached to styro chunks,,
i'm just wondering if anything can be done to help these lil buggers along on their ride,,
i'll send some loose cuttings along, mebbe some of them will make it(they are known to be poor shippers) mine came from Harbor , many moons ago,,,back when a 125 full of them looked COOL now i tease Joy about bringing some back,,,,heheheh

Yup ziggy, poor shippers, i was hopin mebbe i can get some down there that would make it,,,dunno if a bag of a lot of them would fare better than a lil bag of one or two,,

i plan on asking if Premium wants any, being i'll be down to let them pack/ship Cath n Tom's shipment.
i gotta prune it anyway,,,,

icebear,,careful,,;) i remember real "glass wool" and "Silent Giant"
air pumps(lil vibrator pump packed in oil coated gravel)and "bubble -up" filters,,,AND when "Tropical Fish Hobbyist " was the size of a TV Guide!:D
and Sabre -toothed Tigers ate Jerel's gorgonians,,:) :funny:

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
icebear , you must be a newbie...or born after 1985,,,or never worked at a LFS .LOL:D

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
:D

Well, my tank is just over a year old....i was born in 76, and i worked in an LFS for about 2 years...BUT can't say i have ever seen a frag attached to styrofoam...of course, there are only 3 LFS that i know of who sell salt and none of them sell SPS acropora or stuff liek that...its mushrooms, zoos, buttons, leathers, plates, sttar polyps, lo-light brains and the other easy to moderate care stuff....everything i have seen for frags were either attached to rubble, large granules or freefloating.

Up in this state not too many people understand the point of a salt water tank. We have ocean enough here, its cold and dark and not much goes on below 60-80 feet underwater. The tropical salt water hasn't gotten a firm foothold up here yet. We get food from the ocean, we don't decorate our livingrooms with it- oh, people from away love to decorate with old lobster traps and discarded fish nets...but thats how you know they aren't from 'round here :D

I think its interesting tho, apparently its just something i missed...not too hard when my scope of experience isn't all that wide. What is the logic in it? Does the floating foam always insure that the weight of the frag will always keep the frag fully submerged? Or is it just cheap so it works well enough?
Is the frag removed from the foam and attached to rubble after arrival?

intrigued..... :)

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
icebear said:
:D

Well, my tank is just over a year old....i was born in 76, and i worked in an LFS for about 2 years...BUT can't say i have ever seen a frag attached to styrofoam...of course, there are only 3 LFS that i know of who sell salt and none of them sell SPS acropora or stuff liek that...its mushrooms, zoos, buttons, leathers, plates, sttar polyps, lo-light brains and the other easy to moderate care stuff....everything i have seen for frags were either attached to rubble, large granules or freefloating.

Up in this state not too many people understand the point of a salt water tank. We have ocean enough here, its cold and dark and not much goes on below 60-80 feet underwater. The tropical salt water hasn't gotten a firm foothold up here yet. We get food from the ocean, we don't decorate our livingrooms with it- oh, people from away love to decorate with old lobster traps and discarded fish nets...but thats how you know they aren't from 'round here :D

I think its interesting tho, apparently its just something i missed...not too hard when my scope of experience isn't all that wide. What is the logic in it? Does the floating foam always insure that the weight of the frag will always keep the frag fully submerged? Or is it just cheap so it works well enough?
Is the frag removed from the foam and attached to rubble after arrival?

intrigued..... :)
icebear,,,YUP,,,,,keeps 'em floating,,,
old days trick,,,,still around,,,;)

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Calvinc4s said:
I didn't know they had xenia back then? :D
we DID, then you were born,,,,LOL;) :funny:

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
icebear , i graduated in '76,,,,
you can thank me later,,,, LOL:)
us OFR's set ya up fer the present,,,
you're welcome,,,,:D
now Jerel,,,that's another story....;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
JunkZoo who all is coming to TDWyatt's frag party? I must have missed that thread. If you want some xenia I have a ton of the stuff and it is growing like a weed in my tank. I have pulsing elongata and pulsing pom pom. The stuff is everywhere now and I am glad it is not in my main tank as it takes over quickly.

Earl

·
Super Moderator
22,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
digital_dragon said:
JunkZoo who all is coming to TDWyatt's frag party? I must have missed that thread. If you want some xenia I have a ton of the stuff and it is growing like a weed in my tank. I have pulsing elongata and pulsing pom pom. The stuff is everywhere now and I am glad it is not in my main tank as it takes over quickly.

Earl
Earl,not sure on the date ,,,,better make sure with Cath, or Tom W...
on the xenia,,,,i got plenty here,,,if you got some, and are close , and planning on doing the frag party, lemme know,,,cuz xenias ship sooooo poorly,,,
Me and ShirleyM are just sending some frags to ya'll,,,,
the Hoosier thang to do,,,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.