29g Sump
-15lb Dry Rock
-3lb Live Rock
-50lb Dry Sand
-20lb Live Sand
-Lee's 100g counter current Skimmer
-Heater rated for 100g
-Hydor 600 Canister Filter

The dry stuff has been in about a month, excluding about 20lb dry rock I just bought a week ago. Been adding a few flakes of fish food for the ammonia cycle, brought a sample to the LF and had them test it, told me all was well and I bought two Black and White Clowns for $10 ea.
The Live Rock and Live sand were added a few days ago, the fish and crabs, last night.
I'm using the Canister as both my return and a place to use mechanical and chemical filtration.
Working on a DIY Protein Skimmer that should work for a 200g tank (I'll be upgrading to a 125 and converting the 55g to a sump when I move next summer).
I might get a couple more hermit crabs, but I think I'll wait until I start seeing some waste, so I don't overcrowd them. I've read horror stories on hermits that go all homicidal when they get hungry.
Hoping to get an emerald crab or two in the near future.
Also some snails and shrimp, but again, I want to wait for a little build up so they don't starve.

Anyway, the point I'm getting at, is I'm a little lost here.
I've got the basics covered, but I need help/opinions on finding macro algae for the refuge, and my LF has 6 different kinds of live rock, should I buy different types for diversity?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
You only had the live rock in there for a few days before adding the fish? It is possible that it will support them if it was very good live rock with decent bacterial populations but just hoping it's there is a little risky. You could also have some die off that's yet to show if you didn't bring the rock home in water. Either way, keep a close eye on your ammonia levels. If you're taking your water to your LFS I'm assuming you don't have a test kit? That would be my #1 recommendation for you at this point. Also some Prime, which will detoxify any ammonia that comes up as that's toxic to your fish. I would also not recommend adding any live rock now that you have livestock in there - again the die off can cause an ammonia spike. If you add more rock at this point I suggest it be dry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The live rock was cured, and pulled out of the same tank the fish were already in, then went into a bucket of water I bought from there as well.
With the dry rock in the tank I finished the nitrogen cycle, went through the ammonia spikes, etc etc, I got the live rock to help seed the rest of the tank with more diversity.

I had a test kit.. then my kids decided they wanted to use it for their tea party.. new one soon though.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I agree with Chi. Don't add anymore live rock to the tank. One piece is enough to seed a bunch of dry rock. Adding live rock now is really risky, because of what Chi said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts