The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a place other than Home Depot that sells acrylic by a sheet and is willing to cut it? I'm making a sump with these dimensions:46x18x10. All of those numbers can be adjusted down, but not up. This sump would be about 38 gallons or something. What thickness acrylic should I use? 1/4"?

By chances does anyone have any sitting around that they'd be willing to cut and sell to me? I need 2:46x18 and 4:10x18

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think Greg Shields would recommend going up to 3/8" if it's over 14" in height. Since yours is only 10", I'd say wait for Greg to respond. That's quite a bit of water, and the pressure may be too much for 1/4".

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I found a place that quoted me for 80 bucks for everything cut. So it can't be too much for 3/8 and it just might be worth it anyways. The 18" is not final either.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I made a sump out of 1/4" that was 48"L X 16"H X 20" W. It has held up just fine since Summer of 2000. You do have to reinforce the top. However, if it isn't too much more 3/8" would be good peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
So far everyone is correct.

16" or 18" is possibly fine with 1/4" so long as the top is reinforced by euro-bracing. It depends on the water level you plan on running. 6-8" of constant pressure (water level) on 1/4" is not bad.

3/8" would be about $40 more per sheet than 1/4" and is definitely harder to work with if you don't know what you are doing or don't have the proper tools.

14" height is max with no euro-bracing.

HTH,
Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.