The Reef Tank banner

Shark Tank Help!!

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Geoff 
#1 ·
New here and needing to get some shark tank info! I am SO lost and am looking to self educate further than what my knowledge is.

I am an animal behaviorist and have ALWAYS been fascinated with the species. I am interested in having a Bamboo Shark aka Cat Shark. I have heard SO MANY different opinions including size requirements for this shark. I have heard people using 55 gallons (seriously!?) all the way to 100+. Does ANYONE have experience here with Bamboo Sharks? I want to know I am being responsible with my set up and do it PROPER before I go purchasing an animal and endanger a beautiful creature. I am NOT in this for amusement at a shark's expense.

What is an appropriate set up? I have ordered a 220 gallon tank and would like to know if this is MORE than sufficient, and if it can safely accommodate one Bamboo Shark at maturity? I have been told two can safely and happily thrive and live in a 220 gallon but I think this would be just slightly more than enough for 1. They are not active sharks and are very light sensitive creatures.

PLEASE HELP ME HERE! Also if anyone is in Atlanta Georgia and could give pointers on someone to assist monthly with up keep please let me know. I need all hands of advice I can hold and am NOT going to be offended for constructive criticism. My husband and I want to do this right and with out possibility of hurting a shark.

Thank you!!

Elise and Jon

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello! Welcome to the reef tank. I, myself, have also always been interested in sharks, but seeing as i still live under my parents roof...a shark tank is a no go (for now). I looked around for you and it would seem 220 is a bit small. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+41+1523&pcatid=1523

That link is for a website most of us on here use to find quick facts about diet, housing and blah blah blah. Seeing how i have never personally raised one, i cant give first hand details but i have however, followed this site and they are right on their info. Like you said sharks are very delicate so i wouldnt chance it.
One small bit of info i do know about sharks is that they do like circle or oval tanks to swim in...rectangle or square are not the recommended bc they will bump into corners and damage their noses(everything to a shark).

Hope i helped a bit and you get it all worked out!

#3 ·
Thank S_Keats89,

I recently started checking out liveaquaria.com and am finding it VERY helpful. I worked at Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach for 2 years and used to dive feed and as an animal behaviorist thought it was AWESOME. They have a new exhibit with cat sharks which I am just in love with but I don't particularly like the fact they don't have much room and are slammed with about 20 other cats as well as horse shoe crabs. The set up they have is roughly 2 ft deep (deep enough only to cover the cats and crabs) and about 500 gallons in a round set up, like a lazy river only about 2 1/2 ft wide.

I know from experience places don't always think for the best of the animals and use these places as "disposable attractions" BUT I do know their resident marine biologist had explained to me that for a cat shark hatched into captivity can comfortably and happily thrive in a 160 gallon cube, I figured a 220 long would suffice, however it is a cube. I do know they like to cruise about but have no idea about what is healthy and isn't other than what common sense says (bigger the better)

Thank you for a warm welcome and here's to some learning! ;)

#4 ·
I've actually had a cat shark, and the smallest tank that is recommended for them is 180 gallons. For these bottom dwellers that like to just Cruise around you don't necessarily need the round tank but it is an added bonus. When setting up rock work, try to keep them in the middle so the sharks have rooms from around the outsides to swim around. Also remember when they're full-grown there about 2 1/2 feet in length but they are cartilage body so they can turn easily.

Me personally I would try to buy a baby that is already eating instead of trying to raise one from an egg and hoping for the best that it will eat. Most stores that carry them will feed it in front of you so you can see. I probably still would have mine had it not been for a bad batch of squid. I lost both my shark and eel from feeding them that. Let me get on my computer instead of the phone to finish replying lol.

#5 ·
OK, now for sharks, there's a few that you can get that are small enough as an adult and would be OK for that tank. Personally beings its on the base min for a shark, I would go with the Banded Cat Shark or Coral Cat shark. The Coral Catshark grows to 28" and the banded grows to 41". The Banded was what I had, and it was more like a dog than a fish. I used to work for a LFS and we had them in all the time. Hand feeding was my deal, I would get fresh squid daily for the shark and then a few of the other predators. The sharks were hand tame to come up and grab food from my hand and even allow being petted.

When setting up a tank, if you use sand, use really fine sand. DO NOT use crushed coral as it will scratch and scrape the sharks belly. Harsh rocks can be damaging as well. Mine seemed to like a cave for day time sleeping and cruised around at night. I used a "smores" bamboo stick for feeding so I didn't have to stick my arm all down in the tank and wouldn't bother the other fish. They have a really good sense of smell so didn't take long for them to find the food.

Best I can say is when you go to finally get one, base your tank around the shark. Set up and tank mates. Have the store feed in front of you and don't take this "well I already fed it so it must not be hungry" for why it wont eat. Some LFS aren't afraid to pass off a sick or unhealthy fish for a quick buck. Come back later if that's the case. Make friends with your local seafood place as it will be where your'e at for food LOL.

Feel free to ask any questions, and welcome to TRT!

#6 ·
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

a 220 is way to small for a Bamboo Cat shark that is over 2 years old. they will grow rapidly and can reach 40" in length. if you feel you must have a shark, then look at some of the smaller species of cat sharks. the marbled cat shark is one, i can not remember the other and i do not have my shark reference book with me right now. they grow to less than 24". the shark must be able to turn around comfortably in the system.

G~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.