The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Reef Freak
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to buy and house a pygmy shark in a captivity? I've done some research on the species but I have yet to find a place that is studying them in captivity and much less any for sale. I know they are about the smallest sharks and also produce light from their bodies. Even though it seems like an impossible feat would it be a good idea to try to keep one in captivity? I am aware if the deep depths they life in but they are also plentyful in the wild and dmetimes get caught in fish trawlers. Are there any other small sharks closer to the surface like the coral cat shark?o

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
I'm not a shark expert, I feel confident in my knowledge of the care of the sharks commonly kept by aquarists, like the bamboo shark, but I can't claim to be an expert.

That said, I've done a lot of reading on this shark since you posted your question to try and get a better sense of it. I couldn't find any literature of captive survival. It's a cold water, deep water, and almost no light animal that lives in the open ocean.

So...I would say no, don't give it a try.

·
Reef Freak
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've came to the conclusion that they cannot be kept in captivity yet. Thanks for your response though. Although I have a question, with the proper filtration would it be a good idea to gave a coral cat shark with corals? After all it is a "coral" cat shark.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
the biggest problem is acclimation to Atmospheric pressure, most deep sea animals need to be brought up slow, but Monterey Bay Aquarium has a deep sea creature project they are working on, and have a pressurized chamber fish can go in to increase chances of survival...

http://montereybayaquarium.typepad.com/sea_notes/2010/11/rockfish-under-pressure.html

so once you have a "healthy" specimen in captivity, how much do we know about them? last time I tried studying them I didn't turn up much, but small sections and foot notes..

so while I'm not sure if its possible, but I would enjoy reading what they have found out in the last 10 years (last time I looked into them).

I'm up for it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts